Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ChoMar View Post
Yeah, thats EXACTLY why i thougt the CIFS Wiki Entry is a good (negative) example (if you are using a N900). From the Forum Thread i know that it is possible to mount CIFS. But i only had an hour or two of spare time, and that was hardly enough to read the Forum Thread.

The Wiki Page is also a good place for more complex command line operations. Why not? I come from debian, and debian has manpages. Maemo has no man pages, why not using the Wiki. Why not putting things in that "the average user doesnt need to know"? Yeah, some Scriptkiddies may brick their devices (not everyone bricking his device is a script kiddie, dont get me wrong here) but that cant be the reason for not using the wiki to explain complex console operations.
just put all script stuff to power-users?

http://wiki.maemo.org/Category:Power_users
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Money where my mouth is time... I've wikified a surprisingly popular simple howto I posted earlier today and a changed my sig to link to that page and the browser tricks page I mentioned upthread...

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Money where my mouth is time... I've wikified a surprisingly popular simple howto I posted earlier today and a changed my sig to link to that page and the browser tricks page I mentioned upthread...
Thanks Tom! I made some minor changes, but this is exactly the kind of tutorial we need more of.

Do you think it would be useful to use Bugzilla to track Talk threads which should be wikified, as a kind of TODO list?

Cheers,
Dave.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Thanks Tom! I made some minor changes, but this is exactly the kind of tutorial we need more of.

Do you think it would be useful to use Bugzilla to track Talk threads which should be wikified, as a kind of TODO list?

Cheers,
Dave.
if nobody comes up with a better alternative, that sounds like it could work well.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
Originally Posted by ffarber View Post
I agree with the OP's original point that the wikii doesn't have enough information...for instance, where is a page with every DBUS command? There is one titled 'phone control' which has some but clearly not all (e.g. the one buried here in some thread that shows how to sync mail for exchange). The DBUS commands are very helpful building cron events which I run in alarmed.
I myself have added several commands to that page. Most of them I got from IRC chat or trying with dbus --monitor. Since you've found that 'sync mail for exchange' dbus commands helpful, why don't you add it to the page? The wiki is build by users!

BTW, I don't think you can set up a page with 'every' DBUS command. DBUS commands are simply calling application functions, and you can't catch up with all applications built for any platform. Also, some commands wouldn't be useful at all to the common joe user.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
IMHO it would be better to have some kind of "flag" or marker directly in t.m.o because in this case there is much more audience. It sounds a little bit bit complicated to mark threads in an area (talk.maemo.org) in an other area (bugs.maemo.org) to get the essence out of the thread into a third area (wiki.maemo.org).

That's why I would suggest to mark threads which should be wikified directly in talk.maemo.org - in this case there also has to be a possibility to get a list containing al of those threads.

If that's not possible I would prefer a list of threads which should be wikified directly in the wiki. It could look a little bit like the task lists from the sprint process pages. Maybe also a template "please help to improve this wiki article by extracting useful information out of these t.m.o therads: <link to thread>" would be useful if there is already a wiki page which should be improved (like the CIFS example in this thread).

What do you think?

Me on twitter

Last edited by jukey; 2010-05-04 at 09:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jukey View Post
But thw main point is the bad search and site integration! Please go to maemo.org and search for "cifs". Nothing!

The wiki also should be a main category on the page like "talk" and "news".
There seems to be a major bug with the search function on maemo.org: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10092

Me on twitter

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I would like to talk about default CSS of wiki. With whom I can talk?

I have some problems with current formatting. Here is some:

- No padding in lists
- No Horizontal line or section numbering in big headers
- Also [ edit ] section link could only to big headers, now it distracts.

We should have some kind of organisation tree for Wiki. How we are going to categorize stuff. Now it looks like this whole maemo.org. Living organism that just goes where ever it want's..woohoo hippies . I would like to ask how developers think that wiki manages to serve when pages triple/double with current method. Also download section will be nice after when we have ~tens of thousands of programs (no proper filtering =list by downloads, rating, tags, comments etc., also power search, powered by google, finds stuff that section search would never ever find.)

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
I would like to talk about default CSS of wiki. With whom I can talk?

I have some problems with current formatting. Here is some:

- No padding in lists
- No Horizontal line or section numbering in big headers
- Also [ edit ] section link could only to big headers, now it distracts.
I would add:
- no different colour for active discussions about wiki pages
For this item I opened a bug but there was no real progress until today. Anyway I think your requests are also should be filled as separate bugs.

We should have some kind of organisation tree for Wiki. How we are going to categorize stuff. Now it looks like this whole maemo.org. Living organism that just goes where ever it want's..woohoo hippies . I would like to ask how developers think that wiki manages to serve when pages triple/double with current method. Also download section will be nice after when we have ~tens of thousands of programs (no proper filtering =list by downloads, rating, tags, comments etc., also power search, powered by google, finds stuff that section search would never ever find.)
There is a maemowiki action group you can join (I also did now ). But at the moment there seems to be no special communication infrastructure for this group. I would suggest to make a mailing list which everybody cab join who is willing to discuss the structure of the wiki. This could be handled by an new maemowiki-project in garage.maemo.org because it provides the possibility to create mailing lists.

We also use something similar for the testing squad.

Me on twitter

The Following User Says Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by jukey View Post
IMHO it would be better to have some kind of "flag" or marker directly in t.m.o because in this case there is much more audience. It sounds a little bit bit complicated to mark threads in an area (talk.maemo.org) in an other area (bugs.maemo.org) to get the essence out of the thread into a third area (wiki.maemo.org).
Is there a way with thread flags to know what has been synthesised and what hasn't? I'm not familiar enough with the forum to know how easy it would be for me to get a list of all threads with a certain flag, for example.

If that's not possible I would prefer a list of threads which should be wikified directly in the wiki.
The maintenance would be a nightmare. You would require someone (who?) to add pages to the list when someone (who?) decides it's worth wikifying, and then someone else (who?) to remove things from the list when wikified. You would also need some way to suggest existing pages that could be improved, rather than creating new ones, and also (as with any solution) ensure that navigability is respected, that the page gets linked to in the right places, and that the standard of content is good & clear.

Bugzilla provides a nice way to do TODO lists, and add comments, and other good stuff.

It could look a little bit like the task lists from the sprint process pages. Maybe also a template "please help to improve this wiki article by extracting useful information out of these t.m.o therads: <link to thread>" would be useful if there is already a wiki page which should be improved (like the CIFS example in this thread).

What do you think?
Threads get very long, and from experience, I have spent hours extracting the useful information from one thread for an article in the past.

The best way to do this is that the person who finds information useful can get it into the wiki somehow, without creating too much work for the gang of wiki gardeners who are trying to keep things in decent shape. We need to make "extract useful information from forum to wiki" a nice bite-sizeed task that someone can do & then move on.

My feeling is that this wiki page & list of threads would get quite long, quite quickly, and would eventually just stop being maintained.

Cheers,
Dave.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:

Tags
content, wikify