Active Topics

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
vote for sailfish Os

https://twitter.com/Fairphone/status/702466890074099712

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I just ordered a Fairphone 2

I've found myself opening up devices to make repairs more and more often recently, and I think there's a worrying trend towards gluing components together in a way that makes repairs quite risky for both individuals and businesses.

This risk is reflected in the price of repairs, for example if you break the screen on a Nexus 7 2013, many repair shops will tell you that you'd be better off buying a new device altogether!

Modularity and the availability of official parts sold directly to consumers is a real pull.

Once FP have sold their customers a fairphone 2 based on the idea of keeping it for a long time, I hope they will turn to upgradable modules for their next source of income, that would be really cool. Even if that doesn't happen, I think I'll be happy as long as I can easily replace broken components without having to ship it off to the manufacturer.

There's enough developer interest that I have no worries about having interesting operating systems to play with.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
If there would finally be a nice offline navigation solution. I wouldn't need Alien dalvik anymore. But that is at the moment still the dealbreaker for the Fairphone with SailfishOS for me.
SFOS with Dalvik is a must or else I cant pay my bills cause of the bankid app only work wit dalvik engine.

But I guess it will never happen. Jolla seems to have no intrest to sell licenses to Fairfone and will not listen to us. Fairfone guys does not care since most people use Android anyway. Yes I am pissed because I just wonder what the hell is going on at Jolla?! If they were serious about theyr bussiness the have the chance now try sell license for a low fee to a new upcomer. But what are they doing? Just nothing!! Seriosly Jolla ship is sinking thats for sure.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2016-02-27 at 21:32.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
SFOS with Dalvik is a must or else I cant pay my bills cause of the bankid app only work wit dalvik engine.
I don't consider dalvik that necessary now that you can have sfdroid instead. Fairpone2 being easily powerful enough for it to run pretty smooth.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
SFOS with Dalvik is a must or else I cant pay my bills cause of the bankid app only work wit dalvik engine ... *frustration*
I get your frustration. I don't know how realistic it is for us to expect much from Jolla at the moment though, do they even have the resources to do anything more than maintain what they have already built (how many employees do they have now, and how much experience and knowledge did they lose when they had to lay people off)?

Who owns the AlienDalvik code? Are Jolla even in a position to decide if they want to license that, or does someone else own it?

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I don't consider dalvik that necessary now that you can have sfdroid instead. Fairpone2 being easily powerful enough for it to run pretty smooth.
Seriously impressed with how much progress there has been on sfdroid, and also how open the development has been. Proper open source model in action.

There's another fallback option though: use multiboot and run CM for the apps you need Dalvik for... how often do you use your banking app?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I very much doubt that. I know this is not what you meant but the way you said that excludes 99.999999999% of the devices in the known universe - all the ones that are not Jolla phones with AD.

I bet your banking app is merely a front-end to the web service. You can skip the middle man and use the web directly in the browser. No Android needed of any sort. (Speaking from experience. I have been using Jolla for about 18 months and never had AD installed. Never needed it.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I very much doubt that. I know this is not what you meant but the way you said that excludes 99.999999999% of the devices in the known universe - all the ones that are not Jolla phones with AD.

I bet your banking app is merely a front-end to the web service. You can skip the middle man and use the web directly in the browser. No Android needed of any sort. (Speaking from experience. I have been using Jolla for about 18 months and never had AD installed. Never needed it.)
BankID app is not a banking app, it's a citizen identification solution, needed to do banking with all major Swedish banks, as well as Swedish authorities login.

https://www.bankid.com/en/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by eson View Post
BankID app is not a banking app, it's a citizen identification solution, needed to do banking with all major Swedish banks, as well as Swedish authorities login.

https://www.bankid.com/en/
And you can't do online banking without it? Something is rotten in Sweden...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
And you can't do online banking without it? Something is rotten in Sweden...
I agree. It's a proprietary solution owned by the banks... and of course, no API. It's Windows, OSX, iOS, Android or nothing.

Last edited by eson; 2016-02-28 at 10:01.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by eson View Post
I agree. It's a proprietary solution owned by the banks... and of course, no API. It's Windows, OSX, iOS, Android or nothing.
Sounds like complete bastardy in full action
It's a fair time then that you should reverse-engineer it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, fair phone, fairphone2