Notices

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
wow.
Developers are really moving along now with this and mypaint just 2 of the incredible applications being developed for the N900.
Taking a peek at what is in Devo and extras bodes well for our phone!
A huge thanks to all our developers.
This looks to be an amazing application

The Following User Says Thank You to pthomas22 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland, Aaland Islands
Originally Posted by lostinmirkwood View Post
Could you tell me how you're installing it? Ergh, This seems to be becoming an issue.

I'm re-re-editing my initial post with install instructions.

Edit:
I think you running as root and then running the ansela.py file directly, with python ansela.py?!

ui/resources/Ansel-A-Default.jpg is a default image, (the black-eyed-susan photo), that exists so that if you have no photos you can load something. It by default lives in /opt/ansela/ui/resources/Ansel-A-Default.jpg and far as the system sees it's a relative path of ui/resources. (to find that file, I use the python call os.getcwd()+"/ui/resources/")

If you are running as root then your getcwd directory would be /root not /opt/ansel/ as set by the .desktop file.

I'm not sure why you're running from the command line, but try cd /opt/ansel and run from there.

otherwise just click on it in the menu/shortcut
Yeah I was running as root, did try run it as a normal user and got the same error message, except /root/ was /home/

The reason I ran it from xterm was to see if I got any error messages, because it behaves the same when I launch it from programs.

Installed it via apt-get.

So I got it to work, have to cd into /opt/anselA and run it from there.
Program shortcut leaves me with the said black screen.

I don't have any photos on the onboard memory, maybe this is causing the issue.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Netherlands
Great app! I was just wondering if there was some explanation of the features. In particular the atomium screen. Seems to do some conversions to black and white but the differences between the bulbs and everything is not quite clear to me...

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
I've just tried it, amazing work thank you.

I noticed sometimes when i increase the brightness it decreases it, the same for contrast and saturation.

Other than that, everything is almost perfect.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chrome For This Useful Post:
great programm . .i was waiting for it!!!
i guess there is a bug when i tray to savw the photo in a different format?
is it for everyone like that??

The Following User Says Thank You to andrew_85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by FarmerF View Post
Great app! I was just wondering if there was some explanation of the features. In particular the atomium screen. Seems to do some conversions to black and white but the differences between the bulbs and everything is not quite clear to me...
yeah there's a help section next to the exit button. but I haven't really described what the B&W filter does.

Essentially, that screen is to be viewed as filters placed in front of a lens shooting B&W film. It extracts the tonal data (decomposed RGB) of that color and re-creates the photo using only that tonal content. For instance if you have a photo of a red car and a green tree, click on the red button the tree will fade away into some bland gray, but the car should pop out (the way it would with a red filter) if you do the opposite and click on the green you'll see the tonal variations of the tree and the car will be "under-played". Using the correct filter can make crappy images at night or elsewhere really pop and become usable.

At least that's the intent.

Originally Posted by FarmerF View Post
In particular the atomium screen.
Ha I just got that joke, I've never been to Brussels

Last edited by lostinmirkwood; 2010-06-11 at 19:56. Reason: missed atomium joke

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lostinmirkwood For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andrew_85 View Post
i guess there is a bug when i tray to savw the photo in a different format?
is it for everyone like that??
Opps. Never even tested that. I'll submit that bug tomorrow.

Originally Posted by snookh View Post
I don't have any photos on the onboard memory, maybe this is causing the issue.

If you go to the photo browser/full screen there's a "+" symbol that'll let you load a photo from anywhere on you device.

Secondly one tab over from the photo browser there's a setting tab. you can search the memory card as well, currently saving these settings isn't enabled.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
The cropping of vertically shot images ("portrait") is broken. You see on the screen the image in its right orientation, but the cropping happens as if the image was rotated in "landscape" view.
Also, when you undo the cropping and revert to the original image, and you try to crop again, you find that the cropping window remembers the previous cropping attempt, and can't be reset to the full image.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
I noticed sometimes when i increase the brightness it decreases it, the same for contrast and saturation.
Yeah I noticed that to I couldn't reproduce it while running on my desktop, but on the device It seems to happen. it's a combination of moving from the "0" state with the slider or with the buttons.

They fire dependently, the buttons update the slider and slider updates the thumbnail of the image. For some reason there are times where I don't get a signal for example
on_QSlider_valueChanged might not get signaled, but the slider has changed.

there's also on_QSlider_Moved which I don't trigger on that may recieve the signal. Something To look into, I'm irritated to know It's not just me.

The Following User Says Thank You to lostinmirkwood For This Useful Post:

Tags
darkroom, image, photography