Active Topics

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
You can self-nominate and current Council will calculate your karma for you. A minimum of 100 is required to run so they'll inform candidates if they fulfil that requirement along with being a member for a minimum of 3 months.
Please see wiki about karma and do an estimation first. When you never edited wiki, only posted 3 posts to tmo, and never did any of the other activities that gain you karma, it's very unlikely that you will have gathered the needed 100 points

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Does the karma requirement apply to the Board election as well? Is there a karma requirement only in election, and not in direct appointment?

The Following User Says Thank You to khm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
I think this is one of the outstanding issues... Council is supposed to come up with BoD election criteria.

If I understand it correctly.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
I think this is one of the outstanding issues... Council is supposed to come up with BoD election criteria.
This is correct.

For the last election, which was held before ByLaws were in effect, the karma requirement was set to 250 I believe. But that was somewhat arbitrary, and all the candidates in question had karma more than double that. All Board nominees had also been Council at some point. I'm hopeful that some past Council members will again step forward to inject some stability if nothing else.

To be clear, taking a position on Council or Board is a commitment, and shouldn't be taken lightly. It will take some free time, and for Board in particular there can be legal ramifications, as you're then operating as a representative of a legal entity.

Said politely, neither is really for "noobs", Board doubly so. I encourage those interested in running to attend Council and Board meetings, and talk to existing and past Council to get a clear picture of what is involved. It's not rocket science, by any means, but it's more than a 5 or 10 minute a week commitment. (Most times anyway.)

Last edited by woody14619; 2013-04-17 at 22:15.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
I admit I failed on tracking this as closely as it would've needed. So somewhat, since either other council members did as well, or I forgot sth that got mentioned, I'd assume we (preliminarily) apply identical rules to HiFo BoD and MCC/HFC candidates, i.e. 100 karma points and manual calculation. However I expect not many candidates for HiFo BoD that would have trouble with either 100 or 250 karma, unless they are actually not familiar with the duties of BoD at all (those who have an idea are very reluctant despite sufficient karma and standing in community). There are no such "fun" things like "opening up harmattan as much as possible" (which I lately heard in a private mail as one of the assumed perspectives of BoD) that BoD could actually do, neither BoD nor (*-)council have the power to do any such stuff. Both entities are not governance over community, you (the community) are the boss. So if there was any such thing like a hierarchy, it isn't like HiFo>council>community, it is

* Community > your-humble-proxy:council > the-treasurer:HiFo

(and harmattan even never been a matter of negotiations between Nokia and HiFo)

jOERG
(this is a private post which not necessarily represents any official notion of the council)

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-18 at 00:53.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I understand that I probably don't have enough karma points to stand for election. That's fine; I never saw the point in amassing them, because I never felt the need to stand for election until the wild behavior exhibited lately.

However, I know full well what's implied by either position; please note I've been around maemo.org for a long time.

The reason I ask is because if Jim Jagielski intends to stand for election (and I hope he does) someone's going to need to figure out the karma situation.

Last edited by khm; 2013-04-18 at 01:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khm For This Useful Post:
A lot of people incl me are not exactly happy with the karma approach, particularly for HiFo. That's why I said "preliminarily" since I guess we (community) will like to discuss those eligibility rules before setting them up finally, for HiFo.
However as things are right now, we hardly have *any* other criterion on which we could decide a candidate's eligibility to run for HiFo BoD, during this election period.
As much as I agree that I would also like to Jim as a candidate for HiFo BoD, I think we (council) have little arguments to justify bending/breaking established rules to our own liking. We might apply karma calculation rules and 200 community members go and hit thanks button on Jim's tmo posts. Or we could start a regular referendum to get him in on "popular demand" if that's not conflicting with bylaws.Or one of the then-elected directors steps down and rest of directors appoints Jim. Anyway aiui Jim hasn't rejected acting as a affiliated councilor for BoD without being a regular director/member-of-BoD (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=28)
I will also state that it might be better, easier and more "logical" for the community to consider creating a sort of Board Advisor position for HiFo, and saving the actual director positions for those who have already shown their merit in the community.
cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-18 at 02:45.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
<SNIP>There are no such "fun" things like "opening up harmattan as much as possible" (which I lately heard in a private mail as one of the assumed perspectives of BoD) that BoD could actually do, neither BoD nor (*-)council have the power to do any such stuff.<SNIP> (and harmattan even never been a matter of negotiations between Nokia and HiFo)
Beyond the scope of this thread I know but:

(1)
Can someone please point to exactly how/why this happened? (I have my basic ideas, but it may not be the "full picture")
(2)
What are ALL the ramifications compared to other Maemo flavours that have been "negotiated"?
(3)
Will there ever be a possibility to re-negotiate on this in the future?

If it's felt that a response to this here is inappropriate (no matter how invaluable it may be for others), then perhaps I could be PM'd instead.
If the latter were to transpire, then I can easily delete this post...

Cheers.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-04-18 at 04:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Nokia refused to negotiate anything harmattan, as they say they still support the product. Also it was their decision to scatter harmattan assets all over the internet instead of either maemo.org or meego.com so those assets weren't included in the infra we got.

I can only assume and hope that when they decide to dump them they'll ask us first.

Aside from that I also concur that Karma requirements should probably stay the same this time and next council should initiate a discussion to change it (either the calculation or the requirement)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Nokia refused to negotiate anything harmattan, as they say they still support the product.
Heh, that's really funny Nokia, really funny...

Also it was their decision to scatter harmattan assets all over the internet instead of either maemo.org or meego.com so those assets weren't included in the infra we got.
I can only assume and hope that when they decide to dump them they'll ask us first
Thanks, all that was my basic understanding too...
I just thought maybe there is more detail that I'm not aware of.
Here's hoping they do approach HF once they stop "supporting" Harmattan.

I guess all this nicely segues into this thread, which (sadly) remains lifeless.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-04-18 at 08:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
board, community, council, elections