Active Topics

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bristol, UK
Okay. I have had my N810 since Friday now and have tried using the maps app with GPS in half a dozen different locations and cannot get the unit to pick up any of the satellites to tell me where I am.

I have left it for an hour on one occasion and have reflashed with the latest software from Nokia but nothing.

I am very disappointed. The GPS is one of the defining selling points of the N810 over the N800 and I have not made the extra investment seem worth while so far.

Is this software truely as terrible as this when a GPS unit one third of the price picks up the satellites in less than a minute? What is wrong with this device? Do I have a faulty one or is it always this bad? How can I get it to work at all?

Marky

Originally Posted by siralien View Post
Is this software truely as terrible as this when a GPS unit one third of the price picks up the satellites in less than a minute? What is wrong with this device? Do I have a faulty one or is it always this bad? How can I get it to work at all?
This has been discussed ad nauseam. Use the "search" feature of this forum to find all threads related to keyword "gps".

If you want a quick advice - stand in the open space with the left upper corner of your N810 (where color LED is) facing the sky, preferably in the southern direction, and in 3-5 minutes you will get a lock. Once GPS is locked, it will function normally.

I tried that yesterday. I suspect this unit may be faulty. I cannot beleive that it could have been shipped without the ability to lock onto anything. I understand it should start picking up satellites as blocks on the display but in my case I get nothing. I tried in two cities, in and out of the buildings and in the open spaces you mention. Nothing. Very disappointed!

Everyone else reports slowness, getting few satellites, occasional failures, etc., but not complete failure every single time.

Sounds like a defective unit.

Disclaimer: I don't have an N810; the above is based entirely on postings, mainly in these forums.

I am not impressed by this on a unit which cost me so much money. Nokia will be getting an earful tomorrow when they start work again!

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
wow! i've just bought my 810 and didn't know you had to jump through hoops to use the gps nav. i was wondering why i wasnt getting any lock and thought i needed to set something up. how can nokia ship something in this condition?

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
It is increadably slow, but if you don't get any blocks at all on the GPS display in maps and you are outside with a clear view of the sky I would call that a hardware problem.
Generally I would expect to get a lock in about 5 minutes outside, as long as my hand isn't over the top left of the case. I would expect to get at least one block almost immediatedly (or about the time it takes a tomtom to get a full lock!)

Interesting. I came on here to ask about this, because I've had my tablet since January and while the lock was slow, it always locked, sometimes even indoors. But lately I haven't been able to get it to lock quickly enough to use it (as in, I get to my destination before the darned thing locks) so today I did a test. It has been sitting for hours and still no lock. I also took it outside and there is no sign of life on the satellite.

Has anyone else had this problem in the past day or so? I hope my unit isn't broken, that would be a chapper.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by twoblackdogs View Post
Interesting. I came on here to ask about this, because I've had my tablet since January and while the lock was slow, it always locked, sometimes even indoors. But lately I haven't been able to get it to lock quickly enough to use it (as in, I get to my destination before the darned thing locks) so today I did a test. It has been sitting for hours and still no lock. I also took it outside and there is no sign of life on the satellite.

Has anyone else had this problem in the past day or so? I hope my unit isn't broken, that would be a chapper.
I can confirm that my N810 has been slow to get lock lately. I could swear it worked much better few months back... and I do not have any sensible explanation why could that be.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Maybe logs from the last days?