Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dbl2010 View Post
Thx everybody.

After rebates/coupons/tax/shipping the total cost is $380.
That sounds pretty much correct price for this device. To many europeans it´s ~680 dollars and way too much for device that is half baked. I would keep it with that price.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
thats a steal....u wld be surprised if u hear some people around have spent close to double

The Following User Says Thank You to rcarlos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by samuch View Post
As nice as the N900 is, if I still had a window to return it I would. I don't like buying something that's going to be outdated this fast.

Will it keep working, yes. Do I believe smart phones should be more than what it is out of the box, yes.

You don't buy a computer and plan to not add new software, tweak, and use the Internet to download new content. Why should your "internet tablet"/smart phone be any different?
Completely agree. If this is a $500 computer I expect updates. If this is a $500 phone I expect updates and software support.

The N900 is great in a few ways, lets call it the tweaking nerd element, but that wears off pretty quicky.

What you end up with is half baked without much OEM support.

I'd return it if I was in your shoes and look at HTC Android devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
You get the spirit of the forum by the circumstance that the first people to answerare the moaners and unhappy/frustrated users...
Be sure to meet them on the anroid/htc/apple boards as well complaining about almost everything.
Marketing in the gadget market is always some way ahead of devices and their software, but some people believe the hype is true.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Thx everybody.

After rebates/coupons/tax/shipping the total cost is $380.
Well, if I was you, I would wait a bit more, and once N900 gets Meego, they will start to develop all sort of things and paying more attention to us.

It's up to you, but I really think the N900 is a rare diamond.
Whereas most other devices are very "mainstream".

It's like listening to Britney Spears or Trentemøller

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Wow, that's a good deal if you didn't have to buy a plan as part of it.

Don't worry, you just walked into an anti-Nokia campaign by users who are irritated at some aspects of the N900. It's quite usable and cool. It's a bit like children. If you want your little Mikey to be like your neighbor's Johnnie, you are guaranteed to have trouble from the start. Let Mikey be Mikey and become a better Mikey -- Mikey will NEVER turn into Johnnie.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
I just bought a brand new N900 and it is shipped. Because I was excited while I am waiting this new baby, I came here to check what is going on.

But here I see unhappy, frustrated user community. Lack of software support/update, lack of response from Nokia officials . I am an long/loyal Nokia user. Currently I own an N95 8GB, I had 2 Nokia's before. I still believe Nokia is leading cell phone company, but obviously it falls behind these days especially on software side but I hoped N900 will be a solution.

I am very disappointed after spending several hours here and reading responses. Should I return my N900?

Please advise, I'd appreciate the help.

Thank you,

Dbl
N900 gives you the feeling that you can take control of a device from inside out, though for some people, it might just mean ssh into the device remotely from PC and do ls/df/ps all day. (like me) ^^

I'd not want to kick you to other platform like the others do, but you should think about this: If you don't enjoy tinkering things you probably don't want to keep N900.

Btw, accusation on Nokia making a half-baked OS is not without ground, but overreacted. I come from Android platform, if by making a well-baked OS means crippling its functionalities so as to maintain high stability, then yes, maemo is a half-baked OS.

But on the other hand, Nokia didn't choose to cripple maemo, didn't limit the freedom of choices like other platforms do. If you think it's so wrong, then I don't know what is right.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Wow that's cheap man. Where did you get that deal?

I got mine for 464USD

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
yes you should return: well every week (or day) there are new phones and updates being released, so you can return your n900 and get the newestand coolest device out there.

yes you can keep it: wait and see, i believe meego will come to the n900, and yes, not so much apps, but i believe that is for now. we can expect apps (n900 got opera, maybe skyfire too)

yes you can keep it and get a new, cool device: if you have super cash,

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

But here I see unhappy, frustrated user community.
Seriously?

Wow.

Why did you buy it in the first place? Has that changed? If so, then by all means, return it. Has your reason for buying it remained the same since you ordered it? Then keep it.