Posts: 29 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bulgaria
That's a nice setup

Just wanted to share my take on the problem as well. I'm using Ubuntu running in VirtualBox in seamless mode (Host+L). The result is close to what you have here, but without installing anything on the host.

No input problems either - with the VirtualBox additions this is managed automatically. The input is automatically redirected to the VM when it's hovered.

Here's how it looks:

Chrome is running on the Windows host. Essentially, you can "see through" the VMs desktop.

Actually, the reason I can't do that is because I'm currently using Virtual PC. (I have a lot of OS images Win 95 -> Vista, Server 2000 -> Server 2008) for day job type stuff. So I figured I would make a VPC image. I don't have vmware or VirtualBox installed on my machine.

However, I am possibly looking at using the portable ubuntu to see if I can make a image with that and scratchbox that might even be sweeter. I understand it runs much faster than a VM, and has sound. But I have no idea at this time. It is a low priority. (I do some of this just to learn <G>)

At the moment other than sound, I've very happy with the VM w/ cywin/x setup I have running right now.

Nathan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The Xephyr window also uses much less space (800x480). Instead of full desktop you can run say command line terminal besides it. Or not.

Provided your Xephyr uses hardware rendering this is a good solution.

To stop Xephyr from eating your mouse in the VM you need to install VMware tools (or VBox equiv) in the guest OS.

You're also missing out on e.g. Eclipse which comes with the SDK VM images.

You can also run SSHd on the VM and use SSH client (e.g. PuTTy) to log in from Windows.

You probably won't need the VM desktop. So keep it minimized except for Xephyr.

What I'd like to do is get Xephyr working on a remote computer via remote desktop. Granted, the 3D stuff won't work well then, but at least it will use less battery juice from laptop.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
To stop Xephyr from eating your mouse in the VM you need to install VMware tools (or VBox equiv) in the guest OS.
Unfortunately VPC doesn't have working guest os drivers for Linux...

You're also missing out on e.g. Eclipse which comes with the SDK VM images.
Only if you want Eclipse (I personally have a strong dislike for it -- but I know others who love it). ;-D

You can also run SSHd on the VM and use SSH client (e.g. PuTTy) to log in from Windows.
Actually that is what I am doing. Xephyr and putty are running on my windows machine talking to the vm. (I actually run two ssh sessions, one for inside the scratchbox and one outside. )

What I'd like to do is get Xephyr working on a remote computer via remote desktop. Granted, the 3D stuff won't work well then, but at least it will use less battery juice from laptop.
Depends on how "remote" it is. If it is on the same network; you can just use "export DISPLAY=x.x.x.x:2" from the scratchbox and then run Xepyhr on the x.x.x.x machine and it will forward the data over the network to that machine. I could technically run my VM on my server and have it forward everything to my development machine w/o any slow downs. But I've been too lazy to move my vm to the server.... ;-D

Nathan.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Hmm, I was thinking of using NX for that. I don't run VPN when on home (W)LAN, only on WWANs. So IP differs, and I want some kind of session management. I want to keep sbox and the X11 server running and continue where I left from whereever I am at that moment.

Sorry, I haven't done anything remotely besides use a vnc over a ssh tunnel to my server. Hmm, I wonder if I use a ssh tunnel to my server if I can redirect the Xephyr session over it... That might be a possibility. Otherwise if you figure something out -- I'd love to know.

Nathan.

Tags
cool, maemo 5, sdk, virtual machine, windows, xephyr