Hey!
I am the student of Computer engineering(First Year) , and i am supposed to make a project based on C language. I want to develop applications(As a C project) for my n900 in C language. I have not used linux OS before i am typical Windows User so i have no idea about linux OS.. What i want to know is can i develop applications for n900 Using C language? if yes then what should i have to do first?
i was thinking of making a "Student Facility Pack" which will contain Periodic table, unit converter and formulas of maths n physics. if i make it on C using windows Syntax, Can i transform that code into N900 application using SDK on linux?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
C syntax is always the same. GUI on the other hand is different between windows and linux unless you use a cross platform toolkit, which brings you to two choices:
1. If you got to use plain c use GTK+ (downside it's not very portable, say to MeeGo - there is a windows port though, see GIMP)
2. If you can use C++ go for qt. It's easier I think and you can afterwards port it to symbian, MeeGo, Android, iOS, Windows (Mac?)

Hello! Welcome to the forums. We sorely need more developers for the N900.

You can program using pretty any common language for the N900, C, C++, python, ruby, etc. Any yes, you can program under Windows if you so choose.

For C++ in Windows, I suggest using the Nokia QT SDK from here. Get the offline installer and after downloading and installing, use the included "Maintain QT SDK" manager to add extra functionality to target Maemo (N900).

I'm not a developer but there are loads on these forums so I'm sure someone will give you better guidance. Also try the development section of the forums.

Good luck!

PS. You proposed app sounds really useful! Looking forward to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to vdx29 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
What UI toolkit are you using on Windows? That will be the first hurdle...

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
are you really limited to C (as opposed to C++)?

Since this is a C project I recommend you stick to C and not C++. I would advise you though to teach yourself C++, it's very much like C when it comes to syntax but will offer you more in the longrun. I'm guessing your first C project will not be GUI based but a CLI application, correct?

Last edited by Cue; 2011-08-25 at 23:45.

Heap of thanks to everyone... This forum seems pretty much helpful. i think, i should read multiple random post about development, then should return back to my topic.
@ erendorn: Yeah! as it is my FIRST YEAR in Engineering i am limited to C only, I will be taught C++ in 2nd year.

@Cue: I want to make this app GUI based... But because of lack of experience and skills i will go fot CLI if not succeed in giving it better GUI.

I will be very thankful if anyone can share a link or some kind of tutorial or video of Making 1st simple program for n900 via Windows using C lang... I am beginner :/ i have no idea about toolkits and all that can anyone suggest where to start? PLEASE HELP!

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
gui app using c and madde (madde allows you to use windows to develop if you don't want to install linux on your box)

http://wiki.maemo.org/MADDE/GTK_Example

you'll find more useful examples in the wiki

Not to try and confuse things any further but for small apps you might actually just want to compile on the N900 itself. It's possible too.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34412&page=5