Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Why was the widget "too much", if you don't mind me asking? It shows processor load as a percentage along with free physical RAM. What was so inundating?

I can't watch screencast on my N900 or my PC but screenshot works great

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
"Not ready for end users"? You must be shitting me.

Here is a proposal in addition to Extras, let's create a repository called iN00b and only software that is COMPLETE can be there.

Look, if the software was damaging your device (hardware-wise) then yes, it would need to be pulled immediately.

Ubuntu has released updates that have literally destroyed NICs as well as updates that have borked installs. So let's not get in a frenzy.

Clearly screen cast is a WORK IN PROGRESS. You should be lucky it isn't simply marked FIXED IN HARMATTAN.

What you need to ask yourselves is
1.) Does the software package cause permanent damage?
2.) Does it affect other software on the device or bork the install?
3.) Is the software completely useless/non-functional?
4.) Is there another version/revision that works better?

for #1 remove the package completely
for #2 downgrade to extras-testing
for #3 do not install and perhaps recommend downgrade to extras-dev
for #4 recommend replacement with better working version and place newer less-functional version in extras-dev or extras-testing.
Perhaps I was a bit harsh in my initial proposal. Uploading a version that has the screencast button removed would be fine with me. I have extras-devel in my app manager, so I am not an utter iN00b, as you say. I am putting my end-user hat on, and when I saw that the screencast functionality was not working, I questioned why Load Applet was in Extras. I meant no disrespect to anyone, esp the Developer. I understand that it will not brick my device, but surely a QA check for Extras is that all advertised features work, esp ones that have dedicated UI buttons like screencast.

My 2 cents.

EDIT - just thinking about this further - Extras is for end users. End users will also expect that each application works as advertised. Extras-Testing or -Devel, on the other hand, have different expectations, and I can appreciate that.

Last edited by EIPI; 2009-12-08 at 12:44.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Hmm as someone who is still in the iN00b stage of life (although perhaps calling me a wiN00b would be more accurate) I expected that the screen cast functionality would work.
Bit of a bugger as I wanted to send a screencast of a problem to a friend.

load applet was the very first application I installed in my new N900. What's important to me is the CPU indicator. Without it I would be in the blue and unable to catch a problem. This has been a very useful feature with a similar app on my N800.

I don't care what other features it's currently missing, that it can indicate CPU usage in the status bar is enough to give it a place in extras, whether or not it has other, unfinished pre-announced features.

This is a must-have app, but the line between extras and extras-testing is clear. If the OP's assessment of the software is correct then the OP is right-on. And if you disagree then we have a major fundamental problem. But because of the importance of this app, the developer should have the opportunity to fast track their fix: Turning off or removing clearly broken functionality while placing the current version either in -testing or -devel. But in the meantime, how do we reeducate the 10 gatekeepers that voted for it...

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Well, I have 0.4.5.2 installed in App Manager, but nothing shows up on the screen. I have searched in various places if I could find an option to make it appear (as there was in Maemo4 setup), without luck. Should it show up by itself, or is there something to be done ?

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Well, I have 0.4.5.2 installed in App Manager, but nothing shows up on the screen. I have searched in various places if I could find an option to make it appear (as there was in Maemo4 setup), without luck. Should it show up by itself, or is there something to be done ?
Was this fixed or a workaround?

I get a small cpu and memory bars but how do you get to the processes list?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by PeterI View Post
Hmm as someone who is still in the iN00b stage of life (although perhaps calling me a wiN00b would be more accurate) I expected that the screen cast functionality would work.
Bit of a bugger as I wanted to send a screencast of a problem to a friend.
You don't need an app to take a screen-capture. Get the screen you want, open the keyboard and press cntrl-shift-p - the screen is captured straight to your images folder.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
You don't need an app to take a screen-capture. Get the screen you want, open the keyboard and press cntrl-shift-p - the screen is captured straight to your images folder.
I think he's referring to screencasting, where a video or succession of screenshots is taken.

Tags
load applet