Notices

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
The problem is that the android version makes use of the Android API which is based around the Java API (admittedly with many changes and tweaks). It wont be quite as simple as a recompile. I have hope it will happen though.
Ah right, so maybe not too easy then! In heinsight, perhaps I was being a bit hopeful!

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Google Maps on Maemo would be one of the best apps to have for an always connected device like the N900.

I also have to switch to my N95 with Google maps and Latitude when meeting up with friends in the city (where I am lost always).

Edit : Google Traffic updates on the maps itself has often saved me a lot of hassle when on the road too.
I would keep my N95 just for Google Maps and SatNav, if it weren't for the fact I've already ear marked the money I'd get from one of these recycle companies for it! lol.

Really want a QNAP NAS drive!

I use Google Maps a lot on my E90.

I replied to both threads on the Google site. I hope they will port it. I expect they will as Maemo becomes more popular.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce For This Useful Post:
Hopefully Maemo will become a popular enough platform for them to port it.

The post I linked to seems to have gained a fair bit of popularity. I plugged it on another forums elsewhere to, so hopefully plenty of people will get to see it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dexter1759 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I wonder if the iPhone/iPod version also uses Java? I seem to recall reading that the iPhone SDK does support Java applications and it would explain why Google Earth runs quite poorly on my iPod Touch 2G.

Either way, you would think Google would be interesting in porting Maps/Earth over for completions sake. They seem greedy enough to want it on every system. ;-)

As for recycling your N95, are you sure you cannot sell it for more? Every phone I have checked on the recycling sites you get at best half of what you could sell it for directly to someone.

I think it might be easier to port Google Earth. In fact the Linux version of Google Earth might work without Google's support.

Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I think it might be easier to port Google Earth. In fact the Linux version of Google Earth might work without Google's support.
I think it would need to be recompiled for ARM, but yes, I was thinking the same thing. Particularly since Google Earth was built with qt:

http://qt.nokia.com/qt-in-use/story/app/google-earth

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
With Maemo 5 being a competitor to Google's Android, wouldn't hold my breath for Google to port their mapping program for the n900.

Originally Posted by flux41 View Post
With Maemo 5 being a competitor to Google's Android, wouldn't hold my breath for Google to port their mapping program for the n900.
I kind-of agree with you but:

1. S60 was a competitor too, and Google was kind enough to release a Google Maps app on that platform.

2. The whole reason Google made android was to grow their advertising base. Refusing to service Nokia phones (and thus missing out on advertising oportunities) might be like MS refusing to develope Word for Mac because they make Windows.

Anyways, we'll see.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bayonne, France
Originally Posted by flux41 View Post
Au contraire!! Google strategy is to ensure that a lot of people use their products. That's why they made android open-source. In that way, they can collect many more informations about consumers habits and then sell more adds. So if maemo is going to be a hit, we have more chances to see google apps on it.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
1. S60 was a competitor too, and Google was kind enough to release a Google Maps app on that platform.
A lot of people seemed to think that S60 wasn't much of a threat. Maybe Google thought the same? I don't know...

Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
2. The whole reason Google made android was to grow their advertising base. Refusing to service Nokia phones (and thus missing out on advertising oportunities) might be like MS refusing to develope Word for Mac because they make Windows.
Very true! For what it's worth, I hope they do port it to Maemo 5.

Tags
google maps, port