Active Topics

Resistive screens can have multi touch as seen by the Stantum demonstration

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Aha! I like that ~4" part. Very diplomatic of you in treading a middle ground ... but that's what we should all be doing instead of being so vociferous about 3.5" against 4" on a device none of us have handled. Now on I am going to call it a ~4" screen even though I know the exact screen size.
Yeah, but you know which way my tolerance skews.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So 3.5"... that's the same size, but better resolution, than my iPhone screen.

I know people are upset about the screen drop down; however how is the screen quality compared to the N810? And also, has task switching been mentioned? Hardware or UI based? I think it was asked, but I didn't see an answer yet... so forgive me if this is a repeat.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
He didn't mount it in his car and use it for driving directions, either.
Yeah, but if I did I'd be too busy being an international criminal to keep you guys updated. :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Yeah, but if I did I'd be too busy being an international criminal to keep you guys updated. :P
Aw. You weren't willing to do that for us!? ;-)

Resistive screens can have multi touch as seen by the Stantum demonstration
True, but these screens require an extra wire/output. I don't think they are generally available, and are probably covered by a Stantum patent too.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Did you get to use the speakers? How are they in comparision to the current ones on the tablets?
Sadly we didn't quite have time to test them....

However you may like to know the test we had in mind :

I got downstairs after installing Qt and realised my laptop had retained the ssh connection into the device so we dug around and were all ready to upload a recording of johnx saying "I want to eat a cat" or something equally obscure.

The acceptance criteria for "good speakers" would have been if we'd been able to see them actually jump out of their chairs

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Because I like having my GPS on foot, too.
Fully agreed. I only use my GPS for geotagging photos and updating my location on the map. In general, it adds context to the things I do with my tablet.

I'd never use one for car (or flight) navigation... those take the next right instructions are nothing but a bother when driving to a new place as you miss the big picture of where you are completely.

Last edited by bergie; 2009-06-03 at 10:01. Reason: Added a good link about context in software

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
For many people a camera on a phone is good enough, but sometimes a SLR is really required for professionals.
There is a lot of gradation between those two extremes!

I imagine for some people a dedicated GPS is required.
Indeed. My current "load" is:
  • N810
  • Bluetooth GPSR (because the N810 GPS is pants, I just don't have the time to wait half an hour or more for a fix nearly every time)
  • Compact camera
  • HSPA Modem (nominally sold as a "phone")

And if I'm driving my 5-year old TomTom GO, because the Navicore^WWayfinder app is a joke (and I'm a paid licence holder). And sometimes even the SLR, although that's a different use case and I have to make an explicit decision to carry another case, so the compact ends up getting a lot more use simply by virtue of being there with me (which makes its quality or lack therof that much important).

Some consolidation of the above wouldn't hurt, so yes HSPA data is very welcome and by all means do put a proper GPS chip and navigation app in this time. But I don't see myself abandoning a perfectly good Lumix with decent controls, optics and sensor (for its size) in favour of a phone-type camera. My modem also includes a 3.2Mpixel camera but I never use it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
I'd never use one for car (or flight) navigation... those take the next right instructions are nothing but a bother when driving to a new place as you miss the big picture of where you are completely.
I agree there are shortcomings, but the N810 performed remarkably well when I travelled last year. Other than a couple of address glitches, the volume level being WAY too low (bugged) and the slow start-up time, I found it very useful and in fact indispensible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: