Poll: Is anyone here just a Maemo Fan and not a Maemo Expert?
Poll Options
Is anyone here just a Maemo Fan and not a Maemo Expert?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Actually you don't need the command line to be a Maemo 'expert', as you don't need it to be an expert of any contemporary Linux distribution.

I'm a proud Linux user since 2002 and I have proudly escaped from the command line in order to squeez and tame the lovely free desktop.

Like others have said in this thread, the path of growth goes next to the community. The commandline is lovely if you need it for what you want to achieve. Otherwise, you can happily forget about it. And same with programming. There are many ways to get involved and become an 'expert' in your field of interest. Programming is just one of the possibilities.

Actually there are surely less programmers than you think hefe in talk.maemo.org.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
count me in..i enjoy using it and all, but i have no idea have to code

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I intend to learn how to wrestle control of the space shuttle remotely using the IR transmitter/receiver while sitting on my couch.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm embarassed to admit that although I helped launch the N800, supported 770 QA testing and field tested the N800 WiMAX tablet, I'm a major Linux noob. So no one should feel more shamed than I do!

We come from all walks to arrive here, and like GeneralAntilles said, not everyone starts off as a developer or superuser. I hope though that many coming here as interested buyers or casual users become interested in advancing their skills.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
I am a C/C++ programmer by profession but never did any programming-for-mobile-devices or anything GUI. But, I love love doing that. After much thought and consideration, I have decided that I would be learning Qt. Now, I am looking for classes that offer Qt trainings. Have a lot of expensive bills to be filled now

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Poll needs an "in between" option.

That's where I am. I'm sure I'm not alone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I'm "just" a user. I don't program. I use Windows and Mac OS on my computers, never had a Linux computer.

But with this forum, I've done lots of Command Line inputs on my N800 -- I do them by rote! If I have a problem that needs a command-line solution, I carefully explain it on the forum, and one of the many generous souls here posts what I need to do. Likewise, I sometimes see tweaks offered on the forum, and I copy them verbatim.

By now, I can do a little command line stuff on my own, or modify lines I copy from the forum, but for the most part I'm just copying and entering what I see here ... and it works out great!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I am a Maemo user. I have 2 Linux desktops (one at work, and one at home). I am not in a programming, development environment at all. But Linux makes makes life a lot easier for some of the things that I do, esp at work. I'm fairly comfortable with command line, but am no expert. I am a Maemo fan though, and that has been fruitful for me, in terms of exposing me to new technologies, a rich user community (t.m.o) and most recently, by the gratiousness of Maemo Devices - sponsorship to the Maemo Summit in Amsterdam. This community is simply amazing - don't be afraid to be a Fan!

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
I started using linux (first Suse (but it automatically canceled my internet connection after 10 min inactivity and I couldn't reconnect) than ubuntu) as my only OS about three years ago. I was never afraid to use the search function, I was never afraid to ask and I was never afraid to use the command line. But that hardly makes me an expert.

Nevertheless, I'd really like to start some programming once. But as it is not on top of my list this might take another year before I give it a try.

yo

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I'm a developer that came to Maemo through development. Nokia happened to show off the brand-new 770 at the GNOME User and Developers European Conference (GUADEC) back in summer 2005. I got a developer unit of the 770 for a discount later in 2005, and since then I'm here.
While I'm currently doing Unix systems administration and application management in my daily job, I love programming as a hobby. The internet tablets are fun to work with.
I guess that makes me one of those "Maemo experts". But at my heart I'm a Maemo fan!

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: