Active Topics

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
So, clicking around I see that the tablet Device memory has only 1.05 MB available... total is about 249.5MB .... Yet nothing is running or open... not even the Email program.
Alright, let's go ahead and take a further step back here. If you think about a desktop PC, it generally has two forms of "memory"; there is the memory used when a program is running (normally referred to as "RAM"), and there is the memory used to store programs and data for long periods of time (usually this will be a "hard drive" or something similar).

My understanding is that the N810 has 128 megs of RAM, and a variety of different long-term storage options, the main ones being an internal 256 MB flash storage partition and a separate internal 2 GB flash storage partition.

It sounds as though the 256 MB flash partition is full, and that is what is causing your troubles. "Reflashing" the N810 would probably erase everything on that partition, which will probably fix the problem.

I located two features: "Restore original settings" and "Clear Device"....
I then ran both of them twice.... Only then set up Wifi connection
Yet the memory is still "full"????
I'm fairly sure that restoring the original settings won't empty the 256 MB partition. I'm not entirely sure just what "Clear Device" does, but apparently that doesn't erase the files in your flash drive either.

I empted the Email box of all emails. It still will not send. It keeps telling me... not enough memory!!!
Presumably, the files in the 256 MB flash partition are not emails, then.

EVEN THOUGH ALL MESSAGES HAVE BEEN DELETED...it says

POP account: account
Folders: 1
Last Update: 10:16:05
Where is it getting the goofy idea there are 567 messages..
yet all are deleted from my email in the tablet?
Alright, let's take yet another step back here. I assume you have an email account with some service provider (such as Google, or your ISP). When a message is sent by e-mail, it traverses the internet until it arrives at the "email server" run by your service provider. You then use a "email client" to access the messages on that server. There are several protocols available to do this, such as "POP" or "IMAP", and each protocol has a number of different options available.

In particular, your email client can retrieve a list of the available messages on your account, download messages from the server, and manage messages on the server (such as deleting them).

So, there are several possibilities here -- it may be that you have deleted all your messages on the N810 and on the server, but the N810 is having a problem and still thinking there are 567 of them. It may also be that you deleted all your messages on the N810, but they all still exist on the mail server, and so the N810 is in fact not in error.

In any case, it seems obvious that deleting your emails is not going to solve the root problem here.

My current guess is that the 256MB flash partition on your machine is full, and because of that, applications which need to store files there are unable to work correctly. I don't know what exactly is on that partition, but my guess is that making more space there will allow the N810 to run correctly again...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
I think there's a *proper* community repository here now:
http://repository.maemo.org/tabletsdev/

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
I think there's a *proper* community repository here now:
http://repository.maemo.org/tabletsdev/
to mrsellout:
Ok I clicked on it and see a number of items. Am I to then down load the bottom one with the latest date...I suppose?

Also do you know of the web site where I can find what else I need to know on how to flash my N810?
With some instructions for someone who has never flashed anything? That might be a tall order but I have to ask since my knowledge is zero.
also do I need to download the "MD5SUMS" files too???
Sorry for all these questions but the N810 manual is not of much help.
buffalo

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
I'm sorry, but I haven't got an N810, so I'm not sure about the exact details regarding firmware versions and flashing one. One assumes the version labelled latest is the correct one eg http://skeiron.org/tablets-dev/nokia...ED_MR0_ARM.bin from the skeiron site.

However this older version of the wiki should give you a good guide to flashing your device:
http://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?titl...re&oldid=17120

The MD5SUMS contains hashes for each file so you can compare a download for integrity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5sum

Well, after spending more than a day clicking around to dead links I found one where it appreaded I might have struck pay dirt.
when I tried...100s of times to use the Flash 3.5 exe file I kept getting this response %m.

Since instructions are horrible I assumed you used that command with the bin file.
so when I did that 100s of time I only get " %m" as a response and nothing happens to the tablet.

flasher-3.5 -F <FIASCO image> -f -R RX-48_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -F I think.. by now it is all a blurr...
I got only [[ %m ]] not even a crash or freeze up on nothing!

If I just executed the flasher 3.5 with no commands I got below:
so it is recognizing the tablet....or something.

USB device found found at bus bus-0 device addresss \\.\libusb0-0001--0x0421-0x0105.
Found device RX-44 hardware revision 0801
NOLO version 1.1.16
Version of SW-release RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_MRO.

Any clues...? as to what is going ON here? is the [ %m ] result a clue????

Edit: Wait, you are not trying to flash an N900, are you? That image is not for an N900. I assume it is an N810 or something like that.

OK, I looked at the other posts and it's an N810. Please ignore my post. I don't own an N810. And, apparently, I also lack proper reading skills.

That command is very wrong. I don't know where you got it from, but if you are typing <FIASCO image> verbatim, it's no wonder it's not working. That's just a placeholder.

I recently flashed my N900 and documented the process. You can check this post. The procedure itself is documented in this other linked post.

It sounds like you don't have much experience (there's nothing wrong with that). Are you sure you are comfortable performing this procedure? Maybe you know somebody else which has done this before? If you are confident, let me know if you have any other problems, but be careful, as you may break your N900 if you don't do things well (it's hard, but it can be done ).

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2013-05-10 at 00:47.

After sitting at this computer for over 14 hours...I begin to misspell. Yes, you are correct and no I did not type in FIASCO... without doing that all I got was %M nothing happened to the tablet. The real issue is I bet there must be a trick to flush out the memory. That is the real issue and the only way I can think of is a virgin install since no one has tipped their hat and let out that secret. NO.. I am not a coder at all. and have no idea what linux is or maemo. my lively hood is not in the digital world. i was hopping this would be as easy as when I re-install a MSoft O/S like I have done which is pretty easy if one has bought the software.
So, thanks for your comments...

Does this page help? Updating the firmware.

Without knowing what command you are using exactly and what procedure you are following in general, it's hard to advise.

I am following the exact proceedures that are given from the links people have given me...

$ flasher-3.5 -F RX-48_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.binFIASCO image -f -R

WHEN I DO THAT ... at least for 5 hours over and over again... nothing happens... except the response is [%M]
The tablet is hooked up via USB and the two buttons pushed with the stupid thing in the right upper corner....
So I found the Flash 3.5.exe but it will not work with any .bin file

So....after putting in over 18 hours of re-clicking I am asking "who has the secret process" There are coders on this site who write programs for N810...they must have re-installed an operating system at one time?

I followed the examples... I used Flasher-3.5 but it does not seem to want to work with the bin files. Something must be left out of the instructions. ALONE THE Flasher-3.5 indicates it recognizes the tablet which was plugged into the USP.

So, I need to know something...or some process that is taken for granted and not written in the instuctions. I read the .TXT help file as cyptic as it is... but when I run Flash-3.5.exe with a bin it always does NOTHING... EXCEPT return on the next prompt " %m"

So what does "%m" mean????????????????????

I am following the exact proceedures that are given from the links people have given me...

$ flasher-3.5 -F RX-48_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.binFIASCO image -f -R

WHEN I DO THAT ... at least for 5 hours over and over again... nothing happens... except the response is [%M]
The tablet is hooked up via USB and the two buttons pushed with the stupid thing in the right upper corner....
So I found the Flash 3.5.exe but it will not work with any .bin file
So....after putting in over 18 hours of re-clicking I am asking "who has the secret process" There coders who write programs for N810...they must have re-installed an operating system at one time?

USB device found found at bus bus-0 device addresss \\.\libusb0-0001--0x0421-0x0105.
Found device RX-44 hardware revision 0801
NOLO version 1.1.16
Version of SW-release RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_MRO.

Last edited by buffalo; 2013-05-10 at 02:13. Reason: add more information since people do not believe me

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
There aren't many left who use the n8x0 that are on the forums to really bombard you with help...I know Addison is still kicking and a few others like Qole have popped up now and again..(hope it becomes a habit ) For myself ... I love my n8x0's ..a truly remarkable tool ..I'm no wizard like those great folks but I muddle through ..and so ...in my very humble estimation...(and it is truly humble...I completely understand your frustration)... I did take note that you are stating RX-44 as well as RX-48 in your post. One is for n810 the latter for n810 wimax. So unless that is simply a typo on your query...you must be running an odd kinda hybrid machine there. . Get a good rest first then try using the RX-44 (and make sure you stay consistent with the version number during all the text work) and I'm guessing you might have better luck. As well if you run a windows pc I suggest getting Nokia_Internet_Tablet_Software_Update_Wizard and flashing via it.
it makes the process very quick and a little less painful.
If you run into any more hurdles just shout.
Well, I still get "%m".. and fishing around I notice that in 2007 someone else had the same problem. So, I used the correct .bin and the incorrect .bin. and my answer or post had some typos. but the computer did respond to recognizing the N810 so something is getting through. But now that I see that someone else trying to re-flash got the same response."%m".. I wonder if that reflash program is bad or there is some step... other programmers are forgetting to mention or taking for granted that everyone should know??? So...at a standstill. I can only put up with doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results just so long..!. I remember years ago Ralph Natar complained that GM designed planned obsolesence and everyone was all up an arms about it as unfair business practices...Yet these computer companies, certainly Apple, make it a standard business practice and everyone loves them....Well, I do not see the difference at all. And they wonder why land fill is full of this stuff.