Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
bingomion no cool.. hehe

abill_uk Yes i better get in contact with that user , but no need this was one of the 3 N900 i soldered back when i made that thread.

mr-loh Well have not gone through the Schematics to see if there is a second USB connection, and what do you mean about other headphone port?

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2012-06-06 at 09:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
So anybody have any other cool ideas on what to do with an extra N900?

On a note on battery life in offline mode:
So far it have been lightly used for some angry birds and taking notes etc.
But now after 5 Days since last charge it has gone down to 72%, yes that's 28% down so far, it will take a freaking month before it dies at this rate!!!
Battery in use is still the dual 'christgift' 2500mAh battery

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
use it as paperweight or doorstop

I am kind of curious about this too. I am using an N9 now and have two N900s not getting used. It's a waste. Is there a security / camera app for Android I can use under Nitroid that will make an N900 useful as a security camera at home?

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Lebanon
Home Automation Server?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karimko For This Useful Post:
Here's more stuff I've tried or thought of:

Motion-detecting camera (front and rear-facing) with the "motion" tool. Don't recall if I built it from source or not, but it worked on both front and back cameras, but with a strong green tint. I tried pairing this with minidlna to make the motion-detected footage viewable on my TV, but my TV couldn't auto-scale the images up, and the image quality wasn't that great either.

However, if you're not concerned with reviewing the images, just looking for particular image-deltas at unexpected times of day, I'm thinking you could make something workable.

I mentioned media servers, and here soon saera-driven voice commands to queue media will be doable.

SSH, NFS, or web file-servers are useful too. In my experience the wifi device and sleep profiles cause issues with connectivity as a server frequently enough to be annoying (once/3-4 weeks). 64GB Micro-SDXC cards work, so you can get a good amount of storage without dicking with external hard drives and the USB hostmode stuff.

You could make a nice stereo USB audio recording device that writes to N900. The trick here is to somehow do both charging and USB audio recording through the same USB port, which I'm sure is a project that would require both use and hacking of the USB hostmode drivers.

You can run an xtris server.

I've seen custom devices to implement virtual USB CD drives from ISO files. There's no reason N900 couldn't do this too. All your server install ISOs or Linux boot ISOs or Game CDs, in your pocket whenever you need them...

My favorite toy thing to do with N900 is use it as a software synth with things like Sunvox. There are other Linux synth tools that would work well on N900. Sunvox's main issue is that N900 keyboard input lags, so you can't really play music with it. Well-implemented low-latency USB MIDI input + USB charging would fix this issue.

And I'm out!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wumpwoast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Could you possibly mount two external speakers on the back of the tablet and then cover the entire tablet with a cool case design to hide them?

I think a more powerful, portable stereo tablet would be pretty neat.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Could you possibly mount two external speakers on the back of the tablet and then cover the entire tablet with a cool case design to hide them?

I think a more powerful, portable stereo tablet would be pretty neat.
Should be on the front, i have something like that in my DIY audio thread, but none the less a good idea, a new kind of cover for a N900/Soundsystem

I was thinking of something along the lines of a Home Automation server: With some tweaking and a custom cable, you should be able to rig up a USB hub for hostmode use and charge at the same time.
Then, you should be able to connect a HD(if needed), a couple of Arduinos(I know N900 has some USB->RS232 drivers that work, plus python... shouldn't be a big deal to get data between Arduino and a N900-based program).

Depending, you could /also/ put it close to a window or something and use it as a security camera; have it automatically save low-res pictures once in a while, either to a central server or to eMMC/HD-via-USB...
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
I will do a hardware base that will expand N900 ports.

like a docking station via battery pins

Using USB port and jack 3.5 A/V.

The Following User Says Thank You to 48GX For This Useful Post:

Tags
extra n900, what to do