Closed Thread
@Reffyyyy

.. tnx 4 response.
mm.. but keeping it in that mode , and starting maemo instead of android..
does maemo woek exactli as without R&D?

I've been in R&D mode for about 2-3 weeks and haven't detected any differences at all.

mm.. somewhere i read "R&B mode is not a mode your device should run every day" or samoethinglike that..
EDIT.. I remember..
"Summarized, R&D mode is for debugging purposes, and so it's not a mode the N900 should run in everyday" in http://wiki.nitdroid.com/index.php?title=N900-install i read that

I also read that.

So far I haven't come across any problems with it at all. That's about all the information I have.

If you do decide to enable R&D mode, you must understand the risks. It is entirely possible to disable R&D mode though.

Originally Posted by est_cap View Post
mm.. somewhere i read "R&B mode is not a mode your device should run every day" or samoethinglike that..
EDIT.. I remember..
"Summarized, R&D mode is for debugging purposes, and so it's not a mode the N900 should run in everyday" in http://wiki.nitdroid.com/index.php?title=N900-install i read that
well one reason i can think of is, RD mode disables watchdog service, a service which reboots ur phone when it detects something has crashed. watchdog will reboot the device when u try to boot android after sometimecoz it doesnot detect maemo and thinks the phone has crashed. so we keep RD mode on to disable watchdog and use android

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lifenexus For This Useful Post:
exclent answer! tnx!
and one other Noob question:
I have to flash my device, right? what firmware do I get when I do it (with or without overcloking) ? I mean.. are diferent flasher "images" to get 1.2 Fw instead old ?

exclent answer! tnx!
and one other Noob question:
I have to flash my device, right? what firmware do I get when I do it (with or without overcloking) ? I mean.. are diferent flasher "images" to get 1.2 Fw instead old ?
u dont have to flash the device atall. ur only flashing kernel. it will not change any files or data etc. what you have to do is copy android system files to memory card, flash a new kernel which will understand the android files in the memory card and you will be booting android off the sd card. it will not do anyting to maemo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lifenexus For This Useful Post:
tnx for the answers!

tnx for the answers!
ur welcome buddy

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
RD Mode gives you ROOT/SU access to your N900 before you could download root via HAM.

Closed Thread

Tags
android, cool stuff, froyo on n900, nitdroid