Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Lifespan of five years for symbian may sound dumb but fact is not all people want smartphones or similar "complicated phones". Old people just want to have a very siomple phone. Thats where symbian40 still is valid.

and in european people still using symbian phones without dislike it ... My guess is that E7 can success or could until idiot elop scared them away by saying symbian is dead.
And Symbian is much more better OS than WP7. It has multitasking, copy paste, custom ringtones, BT file transfer etc.. WP7 is as good as DOS.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02...s_are_missing/

The Following User Says Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
from what i've heard: no. they'll just save the state of an application when they switch. it'll not be multitasking.
isn't that already been patented with trademark "iMultiTasking" ?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
from what i've heard: no. they'll just save the state of an application when they switch. it'll not be multitasking.
CORRECT it's not real multiTasking

WP7 is getting multitasking,
See picture Above, it's not real multiTasking

hardware accelerated HTML5 (which blows away iPhone 4 in the YouTube video)
LOL HTML5 <- Cause you don't got Flash, it's 2011 No Flash lolx2!!!

and several other updates this year.
Still waiting for that Copy Paste update?

When it lands on Nokia phones it automatically becomes the #2
Maybe...only cause It will be distributed world wide which is a bigger market

alcalde where do you buy your weed from? cause you on some $h!t

Last edited by deyons; 2011-02-15 at 18:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deyons For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Hint: When you go from 38% to 28% of the smartphone segment in one year, you don't say you had a good quarter. You say your company is heading for a death spiral unless something is done. It's this kind of denial that caused the board to go far outside and select Mr. Elop in the first place. Nokia's been far too complacent for far too long.
2009 Windows had 12% of the smartphone market and in 2010 it had 3%! What do you make of that? WP7 has 1.5% today and does not seem to be going anywhere but down. Nokia is betting on the wrong horse!

Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
2009 Windows had 12% of the smartphone market and in 2010 it had 3%! What do you make of that? WP7 has 1.5% today and does not seem to be going anywhere but down. Nokia is betting on the wrong horse!
'Wrong' is a matter of perspective.

In this case the 'third horse' in the three-horse race is a Trojan horse filled with behind-the-scenes bonus deals. (For the right people, of course.)

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
'Wrong' is a matter of perspective.

In this case the 'third horse' in the three-horse race is a Trojan horse filled with behind-the-scenes bonus deals. (For the right people, of course.)
I meant Nokia as a company of course. Make no mistake, Elop will get paid a lot by Ballmer for this.

WP7 is getting multitasking, hardware accelerated HTML5 (which blows away iPhone 4 in the YouTube video) and several other updates this year. When it lands on Nokia phones it automatically becomes the #2 mobile OS as numerous tech articles point out today. Microsoft is pouring billions into this, etc., etc., etc. All the factors look positive and this pessimism is starting to get ridiculous;
Does WP7 support multi-core CPUs? Is it even written thread-safe so it would be possible in the future?

All the high-end phones from Barcelona this week have dual-core CPUs with Android.

At least Meego would have multi-core support.

What the plan B misses still, is a question of Android platform having two years of ahead start of number of applications available.

Plan B should maybe consider having Dalvik VM in Meego so Meego-phone would immediately have applications over critical mass and Meego-people could concentrate on OS and GUI 110% at first. The Qt-applications will come later if there is a need, but first being able to run lots of Android-apps top of Meego would be an advantage! It could be either Alien Dalvik (the license per phone surely costs less than license for WP7) or FOSS Dalvik in later time if that is developed.

I wonder how these guys will convice nokia's shareolders. their unique chance is that nokia don't release any wp7 until may.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Boards dont go looking for new CEOs without a reason.
They do if shareholders tell them to. Such is the price of a public company, if these voices raise to a vote and that vote passes, it is good bye board.

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
They have no long term vision they only registered the domain for 1 year.
AFAIK it is a '.com' and can only be bought for 1 year at a time,

Couple of good comment articles.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02...are_revolting/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02...ndows_phone_7/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02...s_are_missing/

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:
It reads like a few of we nerds upset that we're not getting a toy we were promised and are throwing a temper tantrum. I used to sound like this sometimes... 20 years ago, when I was 18 and just entered college.
The idealistic if misguided kids who wrote this don't understand how the financial world works and they're going to have their hearts yanked out if they actually try to go through with this. A large amount of stock is owned by hedge funds, pension plans and large institutions. Their only concern is a return on investment. In many cases, they have a fiduciary responsibility to their clients to maximize ROI and could actually be sued for seeking to do otherwise. I've watched shareholders vote down proposals to not buy goods from companies that use child or prison labor, to offer equal benefits to gay and lesbian employees, etc. The first time you see a shareholders' meeting vote against protecting exploited children a little piece of your soul dies I think.
You can be sure Nokia shareholders are not people passionately committed to Linux or Qt; they want value for their investment and are going to go the way the CEO and the board (which approved the WP7 arrangement) advise to go. As exo noted, this isn't even a plan for a return to leading the smartphone market or increasing profits.

The author Dick Mitchell once wrote that when people are asked what their financial plan is, it's to make more money. He correctly wrote that that's not a plan, it's a wish or goal. If he were alive today, I'm sure he'd say the same of this statement from the cited website:

I don't think the former, and definitely, the current employees of Nokia who purportedly created this website have any idea how to do that. This makes it sound like Nokia's explicit strategy was to decrease market share and create inferior products, and all Nokia has to do is to want to make superior products again. Maybe the author of "The Secret" is one of the anonymous stockholders.
All I heard when I joined this site last year was how Nokia was making a Business decision to stop support on Maemo and focus om Meego. Now I hear the same tired line being brought out as Nokia announces the Liquidation of Symbian, Meego and Maemo for another outside os that has not caught on despite being made from arguably the most well known tech company in the world. On another note it was "business decisions" that almost led to a global financial meltdown.

How about running a "business" like a mom and pop store? Support your products, make your customers feel good etc....do these business principles have no value?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:

Tags
a hoax, alcalde babble, bla bla bla, micronokiasoft, nokia sux nuts, nokia=epic fail, plan(a-z), plan(t)