Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
FWIW, it's not rtcomm-messaging-ui that is rendering the webpage. That job belongs to browserd (grep for rtcomm - you should see a browserd process with "rtcomm" in its cmdline). You can also abuse browserd for use in your own program; build the stuff found here: https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm.../?root=browser and look through the header files. I have a shitty desktop widget that is doing this and it works, somewhat...
You're right, I knew that. I was thinking last night of having my own server at that port number, but I scrapped that idea for hacking into microb. Ya know, behind enemy lines.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ah, so this browser-neteal stuff is Maemo's gecko equivalent of WRT?
Neteal is the "(browser) engine abstraction layer".

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
An interesting related development:

Mozilla stops Firefox development on Windows Phone 7.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Well, it was expected... Unless they want to rewrite it from scratch.

silly questions, with the new movement to webkit, any words if it'll support html5? I ask because with the launch of the ipad alot of websites are moving to html5. and what video format will it support? theora, h264?

and my last question, what are the odds that microb keeps being updated? it's got a spot in my heart and i'll miss it. lol

Originally Posted by bxbomber View Post
silly questions, with the new movement to webkit, any words if it'll support html5?
HTML5 is a big spec. No rendering engine supports it completely. In fact no engine is even close to supporting it.

Sometimes people say "HTML5" but also mean stuff like worker threads, postmessage, client side storage, SVG, etc. Once again no engine comes close to supporting all of these completely.

Sometimes people even include CSS 3 and ECMAScript 5th edition when they say HTML5. Once again no engine comes close to supporting all of these completely.

Firefox on Maemo/Meego supports "HTML5", regardless of which definition you use about equally well to Webkit and Presto. Some charts, based on Modernizr, are very Webkit biased. Other tests show an equal running. Other tests will put some other engine on top.

Some of Gecko's unknown "HTML5" strengths (talking about nightly builds now and widest possible definition of HTML5):
  • Gecko is closer than anyone else to have fully compliant HTML5 parser. Not sexy, not something the average user will even notice, but very important.
  • Gecko will skip SQL-storage (since that technique is being abandoned) and probably implement indexed storage first of all.
  • Tracemonkey (JavaScript) tracing is a very memory efficient technique, very suitable for mobile devices.
  • Spidermonkey is way ahead of everyone else in incorporating ECMAScript 5th edition. (Brendan Eich works for Mozilla, after all.)
  • Gecko supports SVG filters and clip-paths on non-SVG content. Really cool effects can be achieved this way.
  • Gecko is the first rendering engine to have hardware accelerated SVG.

I could make that list even longer, but I just wanted to prove that switching to Webkit might not be a superior solution, as some people seem to take for granted.

Webkit's main strength is that it is very easy to embed in C++ applications. It's thus a perfect fit for WRT.

As for H.264, it is said to see how little people value freedom. Large segments of the open web advocates gladly sell their ideals and believe the FUD, just because H.264 happen to be the choice of iFruit.

BTW, there is work in progress to get HW-acceleration for Theora as well.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to itpastorn For This Useful Post:

Tags
firefox, mozilla, web runtime, webkit, wrt