Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Eh, there wasn't much of an argument in your post to respond to.
Really? I thought there was.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
... or they're blowing pretty coloured smoke. I mean, if had no intention of ever releasing a PIM but didn't want the user base to know, that's exactly what I would say: "We're going slowly to make sure we're doing it right. Just be patient, it'll come".

As the alleged blower of said smoke, I don't even know how to respond to that comment to be honest. The implication that I am a PR mouthpiece or a marketing droid is a little...um....unpleasant to me. But that's ok, I am a big boy and I'll live with hurt feelings

But here's the thing I don't understand -- if I had answered that question with a simple "No comment on future plans" (as is the traditional answer)t then I (and my employer) get flamed for not being open enough or communicative enough about our products.

I gave the most honest answer I knew to give, but if you want to apply your filter of cynicism to it, fair enough, you're more than welcome to. I just want to make clear that it really was an honest answer and not meant to mislead or be deceptive in any way.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
As the alleged blower of said smoke, I don't even know how to respond to that comment to be honest. The implication that I am a PR mouthpiece or a marketing droid is a little...um....unpleasant to me. But that's ok, I am a big boy and I'll live with hurt feelings

But here's the thing I don't understand -- if I had answered that question with a simple "No comment on future plans" (as is the traditional answer)t then I (and my employer) get flamed for not being open enough or communicative enough about our products.

I gave the most honest answer I knew to give, but if you want to apply your filter of cynicism to it, fair enough, you're more than welcome to. I just want to make clear that it really was an honest answer and not meant to mislead or be deceptive in any way.
Good for you. Please note that I actually didn't accuse you of all the things you mention, just that I offered a "slightly" different scenario as background of your words.

Also, your reply wasn't that much different from "No comment", since it all sounded waayyy to marketing-speaky to the cynical ear.

So I guess we'll see it when we'll see it. Not that your answer included even the slightest hint at a time table, or was even vaguely positive, but hey! I'm supposed to not be cynical towards Nokia, so rock on.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
but hey! I'm supposed to not be cynical towards Nokia, so rock on.
You're welcome to be as cynical as you'd like But it'd be nice to differentiate the cynicism directed at PR and marketing things (i.e. things designed to change people's perception of an existing product/market), versus people who actually work on the project and post here in their spare time because they're really enjoy the product they work on (i.e., they actually *want* to interact with the community and be helpful to community members). Or not. The shotgun cynicism approach works fine for some as well.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
They're adamant that these are not PDAs.
I would have asked him why.
I keep hearing that. I don't get it. Logic to me says that is just of semantics they are playing. Really, what the heck is really ALL that different about calling a hand held a pda? (rhetorical remark)

Calendar and basic office functions at this stage of all developments should pretty much be defacto standard. That whole 'this is not a PDA' angle I keep hearing to me seems like a cop out. Hey, we even have KDE running on these units now and OS2008 is really a full featured OS. There are no limitations, only excuses.

The Following User Says Thank You to iontruo2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by iontruo2 View Post
I keep hearing that. I don't get it. Logic to me says that is just of semantics they are playing. Really, what the heck is really ALL that different about calling a hand held a pda? (rhetorical remark)
The "assist" function.

Seriously.

Calendar and basic office functions at this stage of all developments should pretty much be defacto standard. That whole 'this is not a PDA' angle I keep hearing to me seems like a cop out. Hey, we even have KDE running on these units now and OS2008 is really a full featured OS. There are no limitations, only excuses.
That crap's been running on Zaurus organizers since the early nineties. Google "Newton" and "assist" and you'll know what a real PDA is supposed to do.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
Doing PDA functions properly on a general purpose OS, as opposed to a dedicated
singletasking real time OS, is actually quite difficult.
When you switch to the palm datebook, it knows you weren't just looking at it,
and so it brings up today. GPE can't do that. If you're not paying attention,
you'll put your new appointment on the wrong day.

All of the programs are running, there's no load time. Response is instant.
There's no saving of files, because you're working on live data in RAM.

It's an entirely different paradigm.

---------------------------------------------

Not exactly.

Doing PDA functions properly on a general purpose OS, as opposed to a dedicated
singletasking real time OS, is actually quite difficult.
When you switch to the palm datebook, it knows you weren't just looking at it,
and so it brings up today. GPE can't do that. If you're not paying attention,
you'll put your new appointment on the wrong day.

All of the programs are running, there's no load time. Response is instant.

It's an entirely different paradigm.

I think these are some very good points dubwise. I think some of us may find it hard to understand that a large successful company like Nokia can't seem to bring a good PIM system to this product. I would also say that probably some of us also would have very little idea what is involved in implementing such a thing. Palm has been doing it for years yet they still have some glitches. I would imagine a quality PIM that was really worth having could be quite a challenge to put on the Nokia. But I hasten to add that I don't know one way or the other here. At any rate, I take Victor's words about PIM at face value. To me it sounds absolutely like he is speaking the trueth. It sounds to me like Nokia is trying to do the best overall for the N8x0 . Obviously that is in their best interest. I also would think that a quality PIM on this devise would be in Nokia's best interest since it would be such an amazing product at that point.
I'd like to thank Victor for participating in this forum. Kudos to you.

Cheers,
Neil

Hey this live show is about to take place. Check it out. Neil

Here is a direct link to it : http://ustream.tv/swf/3/viewer.37.sw...nVn7F2pLttiKm7

Last edited by sungrove; 2008-02-13 at 03:35.