So the nokia email on the N900 doesnt work with Gmail at all? Exactly what works and what does? What i'd like ideally is for it to notify me when emails come in (PUSH Email), as well as sync my folders with my gmail account especially things like sent mail.

thanks guys

Last edited by archzai; 2009-12-01 at 11:01.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
It works excellently with Gmail. I am using it now with no problems whatsoever.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
That depends on how it's set up. The email should work fine but also syncing contacts, calendars etc over Mail for Exchange is not officially supported right now (it might work for you, but not guaranteed to do so, see this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35136)

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I'm using it, too. No problems, easy set-up. and notificationsand synced folders (sent and everything)

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by floffe View Post
That depends on how it's set up. The email should work fine but also syncing contacts, calendars etc over Mail for Exchange is not officially supported right now (it might work for you, but not guaranteed to do so, see this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35136)
Gmail does not provide Exchange server interface without special arrangements. Exchange is Microsofts proprietary mail server format and protocol, one that breaks a lot of the standard mail protocols and lacks functionality. Fortunately Gmail offers both POP and IMAP so you can effectively use those protocols for your N900 syncing.

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by archzai View Post
So the nokia email on the N900 doesnt work with Gmail at all? Exactly what works and what does? What i'd like ideally is for it to notify me when emails come in (PUSH Email), as well as sync my folders with my gmail account especially things like sent mail.

thanks guys
I depend on google heavily myself.

For gmail I set it up in Nokia messaging, and it works fine so far, just that you wont have all your mails at once, it keeps mails upto last 3 days, but for new mails this is more than enough for now.

For contacts and calender, I used PC suite, Im using it to sync with Lotus Notes(at work) and Outlook(at home).
Has been working fine so far.

google calender and contact sync totally unreliable with Mfe as of now.
Mails are not supported anyways on Mfe.

hopefully this gets ironed out soon
waiting for the xmas gift from Nokia/Maemo !

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
I'm still confused, does gmail get pushed to the n900 as the mail is sent, or do you have to go in to ur mail app for it to check for new mails?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by DannStarr View Post
I'm still confused, does gmail get pushed to the n900 as the mail is sent, or do you have to go in to ur mail app for it to check for new mails?
As modest doesn't support IMAP IDLE at the moment, it doesn't get "pushed" if you use gmail with IMAP. See this bug report.

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by DannStarr View Post
If you use Nokia messaging like I do , it pushes the mail from gmail.

Im not sure though if IMAP idle is supported for Gmail if you used the modest client to set it up using the IMAP4 protocol

And in my experience, it was terribly slow to use it that way, found Nokia messaging a little more quicker, maybe coz it loads fewer messages

Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
If you use Nokia messaging like I do , it pushes the mail from gmail.

Im not sure though if IMAP idle is supported for Gmail if you used the modest client to set it up using the IMAP4 protocol

And in my experience, it was terribly slow to use it that way, found Nokia messaging a little more quicker, maybe coz it loads fewer messages
How do you mean you use Nokia Messenging to push Gmail email?

My Blog