simple javascript
Code:
history.go(-1)
shouldn't it trigger reloading of page from the cache if page not set to expire instantly?

i noticed even pages that are set to expire hours later reloaded from the webserver instead of the cache. It is not the case with desktop browsers

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by asidana View Post
simple javascript
Code:
history.go(-1)
shouldn't it trigger reloading of page from the cache if page not set to expire instantly?

i noticed even pages that are set to expire hours later reloaded from the webserver instead of the cache. It is not the case with desktop browsers
Hmm. Actually whenever you press back button microb starts to load something. Off course some pages need to be refreshed, but for example Opera has been for ages fast because of its cache behavior. Pages should come from cache instantly.

it should obey whatever page says. if it says always load me thats fine but if it says cache me for n minutes it should obey that. this would also save some precious bw when you are on gprs/3g.

could this be a bug?

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Did you check server logs to confirm this? Is there another requst to reload the page?

The point I'm trying to make is that despite being probably best browser for smartphones, its still not as fast as desktop browsers. Loading a page from cache isn't instant, it has to be rendered again and it looks like its getting it from the web, despite its loading it from cache. MicroB can't store all the rendered page as is in limited memory N900 has.

So, anyone with time to test it for real?

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

i'll write up a simple page and try

Last edited by asidana; 2009-12-30 at 17:18.

i think i am wrong.
i done some tests on my local pc and it doesn't reload page if expires set to longer than 0 seconds.

Maybe i other browsers dont obey this and when you hit back they load page from their cache. At least opera and pocket ie on windows mobile phones acted like that

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
So it seems from this and other threads on this issue is that microb does not ever reload from cache. Bad programming choice IMO. Still a great browser, even with no (real) touch back or forward page, no reload from cache, and frequent blank (checkered) delayed page load.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
would not surprise me if microb do not have a cache of the actual pages (tho perhaps the graphic elements) so as to conserve ram.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
would not surprise me if microb do not have a cache of the actual pages (tho perhaps the graphic elements) so as to conserve ram.
The cache is in the rom, not the ram.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
this would be nice to have on microb
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6371