Active Topics

I think the only way Nokia can succeed is if they make something of their "special agreement".

They need to pack that polycarbonate with their best quality cameras, largest possible battery, 4G LTE, the fastest available SoC (for WP) and supplement their own User eXperince (a la Swipe UI).

As long as this device is the best crop (spec wise) from Windows Phone, and it looks (polycarbonate) and behaves (SwipeUI) different to the competitors....then NOKIA has a real chance!

Otherwise, they're slowly sinking in the icy waters of the Pacific regardless of how hard they trot

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Let Elop have a sip of Tizen and they will jump ship again

Hey, that image was supposed to mock Tizen, not promote it.

My website

GitHub

Looks like things are going according to the script after all:

02-11-11 , 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Looking bright, ain't it?

Nokia/Elop: "Mayday...Mayday....Mayday!!! We're all standing on a burning platform. Is there anyone out there?"

Cue the sound of the M$ outboard motor coming from the distance *Developers..Developers...Developers...Developers......

M$/Ballmer: "Aaaaaallllll aboooaaaaard!!!!!!"

Nokia/Elop: "My old mate Steve! I knew someone would save us, but who better than you"

Motorboat pulls away from the burning platform:
*Developers....Developers....Developers....Developers*

In the far distance we hear a blood curdling scream:

"F*****G HELL!!!!! THIS BOAT IS SINKING!!!!!!"

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
From a Vodafone locked Nokia users point of view (until I got my N900), I can quite understand where he's coming from. He just needed to look deeper and further afield than just "salesmen".

The networks are partly to blame for Nokia's demise, in the fact that they have been in control of software updates where their branded handsets are concerned.

For example- My old N95- 8GB is still on the latest Vodafone branded firmware, which happens to be 2 versions behind the generic Nokia version, with "No further updates planned, as we haven't been told of any newer versions" (Vodafone's words on their forum).

Even with the N900 they tried to restrict updates and services. Type my N900 product code into NSU and it will tell you what the latest "Vodafone approved" firmware is. T-Mobile refused to stock the device because Nokia didn't and wouldn't provide a means for them to fill it up with their network lockouts and corporate bloatware, same reason that Orange didn't stock it. O2 stocked the N900 for a short while, but because customers couldn't use O2's services they steered customers away towards competitors devices.

Vodafone customers had to fight tooth and nail to get PR1.3 for the N900. Vodafone didn't release the "Pre- PR1.3" patch, so they had to go to Nokia and beg for a double release because PR1.3 couldn't be installed over PR1.1. Once they got that sorted they still took months to release because they had to "Test it to see if it worked with all Vodafone's services". Eventually, the truth was leaked by a Vodafone employee that they were trying to have the "Unsupported" apps and services removed (things like Skype and other services).
actually, you are spot on on this. have a look at what charlie kindle says http://ceklog.kindel.com/2011/12/26/...-it-taken-off/

for those who don't know who charlie kindle is, look him up on google.

Originally Posted by droll View Post
actually, you are spot on on this. have a look at what charlie kindle says http://ceklog.kindel.com/2011/12/26/...-it-taken-off/

for those who don't know who charlie kindle is, look him up on google.
The way the networks impose the restrictions on users has been a pet hate of mine since my N73 days.
I had a device that was capable of viewing the web in all it's glory, but was restricted by the networks insistence on using the antiquated WAP system, still is today. Nokia, and to a lesser extent, other mobile O/S developers have worked tirelessly to bring full, unrestricted web browsing to mobile devices, but this has meant networks would have to spend vast quantities of cash to improve services and increase capacity to accomodate such a move.
IMO they have that cash. £5 per month for 500mb on my network, whereas it's £11 per month for 60GB on my home connection.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I think the only way Nokia can succeed is if they make something of their "special agreement".

They need to pack that polycarbonate with their best quality cameras, largest possible battery, 4G LTE, the fastest available SoC (for WP) and supplement their own User eXperince (a la Swipe UI).

As long as this device is the best crop (spec wise) from Windows Phone, and it looks (polycarbonate) and behaves (SwipeUI) different to the competitors....then NOKIA has a real chance!

Otherwise, they're slowly sinking in the icy waters of the Pacific regardless of how hard they trot
A CEO must be dumb in order to integrate such things in a crappy OS that doesn't shift devices. Why lose time, just slap the current ready, well received OS with lots of demand and potential sales? Unless, Nokia is a MS owned...

Forcing an OS which has been disliked by pretty much 99% of the consumers is like shooting a mosquito in the dark.

Can everyone go and write 5 preferably insightful comments on Slashdot? That page is going to get at least a million hits from Linux users.

Secondly, the story might get picked up by mainstream journalists from that page, which will really get Nokia's attention.

It's generally best to only respond to comments that are already rated at 3-5 because those are the ones everyone is reading.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Ames IA, USA
I wish Nokia stuck with Maemo and meego instead of using Windows Phone. I remember when I first learnt of the n900, I had never seen anything like it. I think Maemo would have gone far if it was Nokia's main OS.

Last edited by txh; 2012-01-31 at 13:01.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
Exactly. The only people who really like WP7 can be found in the comment sections on sites like The verge or tweakers.net.
plus at least one guy who has N800, N900 and N950...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Nokia should release a MeeGo based device and WP based device in 2nd quarter of 2012. and should see which device will perform better. WP dont even have a chance to outperform MeeGo. as N9 outsold both WP devices beside N9 was launched to only smaller markets and with much larger price tag compared to Lumia phones.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows