Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Be interesting to see how the N9 holds up against the Titan, it's due in "early October".
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...ra-support.ars
If we're lucky the N9 will also be out then, not... hahahahaha... hahahaha!! (I think I'm going crazy)

One thing I found particularly interesting:
Both phones are equipped with front-facing cameras—1.3 megapixel on the TITAN, VGA on the Radar—confirming rumors that Windows Phone Mango would indeed support such hardware. Surprisingly, the only built-in application that can make use of the cameras is the standard camera app; it has a button for switching between the main camera and the front-facing one. Beyond that, use of the camera is up to application developers—Mango itself won't include any built-in video-calling capabilities.
Is that right?
I heard Mango would have good built-in vid-chat support?

The Titan has a gyroscope which the N9 doesn't, but I believe the N9 has evertying else:
GPS, proximity & ambient light sensors, accelerometer, compass.

The Titan's 8mp camera sounds like it might give the N9's a run for it's money:
The rear cameras, though they differ in resolution, both include a lens with a fast aperture of f/2.2, and the sensors are backside-illuminated, which should in principle give them better low-light performance than conventional sensors.
Also...
HTC is pre-installing some new applications, too. The phones will include an app for the HTC Watch streaming media services (already supported on Android), DLNA streaming, and Virtual 5.1 surround sound.
I don't really care about it's massive 4.7" display.
Res isn't that impressive, despite the screens size anyway.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-02 at 12:30.

the n9 is a still born...

... you have the CEO actively working against its success, and in THIS climate its even harder since they have no first mover advantage AND no 3rd party support off the starting line

why would you buy it ? because it has sexah UI ? sorry but iPhone has that demographic sewed up

we have seen this movie before for the N900, and its even gonna get worse for the n9

makes no sense to buy unless you hold FOSS above all (and that functionality AT RELEASE is everything you need)

maybe thats you, but its sure as hell NOT any significant part of the population

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm still holding out for SOMEBODY to support native Klingon support.
http://www.kli.org/tlh/phrases.html

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
the n9 is a still born...
... you have the CEO actively working against its success, and in THIS climate its even harder since they have no first mover advantage AND no 3rd party support off the starting line<SNIP>
I think this movie looks way better than it did for the N900.
It's not going to be a runaway success, but def. better than the N900.

Very different trajectory...*
But we're repeating the same ****, so I CBF'd outlining all that again.

*So long as we don't get a release date that's constantly pushed back.
Or is protracted over 9mth+ to all it's desintation countries.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
we have seen this movie before for the N900, and its even gonna get worse for the n9

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2011-09-02 at 13:38.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Be interesting to see how the N9 holds up against the Titan, it's due in "early October".
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...ra-support.ars
If we're lucky the N9 will also be out then, not... hahahahaha... hahahaha!! (I think I'm going crazy)

One thing I found particularly interesting:

Is that right?
I heard Mango would have good built-in vid-chat support?

The Titan has a gyroscope which the N9 doesn't, but I believe the N9 has evertying else:
GPS, proximity & ambient light sensors, accelerometer, compass.

The Titan's 8mp camera sounds like it might give the N9's a run for it's money:

Also...

I don't really care about it's massive 4.7" display.
Res isn't that impressive, despite the screens size anyway.
Besides the impressive camre and the akwardly big screen with only 512 Ram no NFC, closed bluetooth, zune and all the other crap from MS this desvice screems Move along people Nothing to see here

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
I think i may just bite the bullet and get a nokia wp7. Don't hate me, hear me out, my needs a much simpler than you guys and this n9 debacle is disheartening to say the least
No hardware support is a dealbreaker and i know this phone is gonna be expensive. When i evaluate the situation.

Played with a windows phone and although it has some shortcomings it works. Here why for me if you're interested
Live tiles on my homescreen >>> widgets for me.
Office is really nice
Their email program is one of the best I've seen on a mobile device to date by a large margin
The vkb is one of the best I've seen to type on something with the linguistics code or whatever makes it work well and predictably, I'm not sure what they did, it's stellar as far as vkbs go.
Voice commands for reading and sending msgs is nice

What I'd like to have is ZERO dependency on Zune software, and USB mass storage as well as a File manager. I'm hoping that will come soon via the hacking community eventually.

Naturally after all of that I mentioned, I'm still a fan of FOSS< and I am still am NOT a fan of Nokia going the WP7 route

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
It's here. Change the thread name please.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
^ Wot... where?
Don't talk like that, you're going to give me a coronary.

Pricing thoughts
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...5543&p=33#r654

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-02 at 15:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bequezox View Post
Really?? Office 2010 language packs around 40 usd (danish price) Here
You're comparing apples to oranges. NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF CELL PHONES HAVE USERS EVER HAD TO PAY FOR THEIR SPECIFIC LANGUAGE. This isn't about Office 2010. The two models aren't even remotely similar. One is a company's software with which they have a stranglehold on all other competitors (and consumers). The other is AN INDUSTRY STANDARD. For ****'s sake, we should change the thread title to:

"The N9 is announced! QUICK, EVERYONE THROW COMMON SENSE OUT THE WINDOW AND ACT ******ED"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to unfuccwittable For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????