Active Topics

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Just for context bluefoot, the Note 4 costs over twice the price of the Jolla and the iPhone 6 is just under twice the price in the UK.

I don't think Jolla can win with you. You're arguing that the price needs to come down but also that your circle of friends/colleagues wouldn't buy one anyway because they want high end devices.
That has nothing to do with any of what I said. People here like to pretend that the Jolla is perfect and is the best option for any developer or OSS enthusiast, and you're effectively stupid if you don't get one. However, in my view, even if said demographic knew about it or could easily get it, I think there'd still be practically no interest due to both the poor nature of the device and very early state of Sailfish. In the face of the device hitting ~#270 in snapdeal's smartphone best selling chart, despite weeks of promotion on their site, the community of this site chooses to blame people's stupidity or ignorance as they see it, rather than failing to see how unattractive the current device is to almost anyone.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-10-10 at 20:14.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
I'm no developer and no OSS enthusiast (though I do like if something is OSS, but I'm not endorsing it all over the internet so...) but I use the Jolla phone since January. Why? 'Cause I love the interface. It's easy to use and once you get used to the gestures it becomes easy and fast to navigate. My previous phone, the HP Pre 3 with webOS, was also a multitasking OS and I loved it! But due to an issue that popped up after 1 year of using it (despite the fact that webOS was dead), I had to switch and so SailfishOS attracted me a lot.
I'm not dependent on much apps, a few of them are native on SailfishOS (official or unofficial) and a few of them run well under the Android runtime.

(oh and do note that I'm still very young: only 22 years old, to be exact)

Jolla is not perfect, but no company is. I don't believe in anyone or anything to be 'perfect'. Everyone and everything has flaws. But I do believe in Jolla so I support them as much as possible when they do something good or something I agree with.

So no, it's not only for devs or OSS enthusiasts. It's also for people like me who fell in love with the interface after seeing the first videos in 2013 and loving it when using it in 2014 as well.

Last edited by vistaus; 2014-10-10 at 20:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
That has nothing to do with any of what I said. People here like to pretend that the Jolla is perfect and is the best option for any developer or OSS enthusiast, and you're effectively stupid if you don't get one.
Sorry, but nobody is saying so. Jolla smartphone and Sailfish OS are an alternative, showing a different hardware (with e.g., Other Half possibilites) and different mobile OS. It is up to each person to judge if they are good or not for each one's needs. For you it seems it is not good, ok. But for some other people they are good.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
OK we get it bluefoot. You don't like it. Move on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: