Active Topics

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
This article was posted to Neo900 thread and is also related to Jolla, I think: http://mobile.datamation.com/open-so...ardware-2.html

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
I've read multiple reviews on various places and apparently NFC Enabled says "device unsupported" on some devices while it's actually supposed to be supported because it has a good, strong NFC chip. So that's not an accurate app to do the test on the Jolla phone.
I only mentioned NFC Enabled as a possible alternative (amongst many) to Near Field NFC Tester. And, as you can see from aegis' post, there are other Android NFC tools report the same thing.

Regardless, there's clearly something odd going on here if you managed to make an NFC payment on Android whilst nobody else seems able to do very much at all with the Jolla NFC hardware

Perhaps you could share your exact configuration, including the systemd scripts.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
All gone quiet on this thread from vistaus. Shame as i was genuinely interested to see how he had got NFC payment to work. There is nothing on jolla.together or any other Jolla blog to say this has been achieved either Not a great example of community sharing of experiences.

The Following User Says Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Any updates on ideas about Jola sales to date?
They could not have done too bad if they also release a tablet now.

I am just hoping they sell enough to bring out more devices and have the cash behind them to bring Sailfish to other phones. So far it seems relatively quiet on the front of bringing fully functional Sailfish for other phones in a way regular consumers can live with, or even above average clever consumers.

I am not super optimistic about the whole development. If they sold less than 250.000 Jolla phones it must be a huge discouragement to Jolla as a company.

Any rumours about a new Jolla phone? Tablet came out of the blue.

Well, if anyone has any ideas/indication on how sales/finances at Jolla has developed, I sure would be interested in hearing all about it.

I think something like Maizu Ubunto phone with Sailfish on would be very interesting as well.

Until a viable product pops up I will stick with the still best available mobile device on the marke, the ever beautiful and wonderous Nokia N900. (N9 is dust collector)

The Following User Says Thank You to zeebra For This Useful Post:
why don't you like n9?? here everyone say different things..

Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
why don't you like n9?? here everyone say different things..
Simple answer: I really like the n900 and n9 is nothing like it.

don't get me wrong. n9 is still better than most the garbage sold today.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zeebra For This Useful Post:
I second zeebra: N900 is just far more versatile. N9 has a nicer UI for one-handed use and is prettier. But since I use my Jolla quite extensively, I hardly ever use the N9 anymore while I still use the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoOppen For This Useful Post:
I forgot: I also have the slight hope for a new phone. SF OS has matured quite a lot and I now consider it really attractive - more attractive than anything else around. So what is lacking now (notwithstanding systemwide copy/paste and ...) is better Hardware for the phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoOppen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
I am just hoping they sell enough to bring out more devices and have the cash behind them to bring Sailfish to other phones. So far it seems relatively quiet on the front of bringing fully functional Sailfish for other phones in a way regular consumers can live with, or even above average clever consumers.
Jolla is not basically a hardware company: its aim is to licence SailfishOS to other hardware manufacturers. Recently, they separated a hardware arm from the main company as a separate business, although there doesn't seem to have been much news of that lately. (Maybe someone else can correct me if there is news that I have missed.)

SailfishOS on non-Jolla phones is coming though. Here are a couple of pointers:

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...hs-away-716008

https://www.fairphone.com/2015/10/22...e-fairphone-2/

If you have the technical skills, you could try an unofficial port on other devices, see for example http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=233. This falls outside the scope of what "regular consumers can live with" though.

The Following User Says Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post: