would you buy a new N900 now or wait for the Dell Mini 5 ?

I trust Dell as much as I trust a £5 hooker not to give me an STD......
Thats +1 for N900 if you were wondering.

I've already bought an N900. If the Dell Mini 5 had already been out I'd have bought the N900 anyway.
I don't think you are going to find a Dell Mini 5 fun here...

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by nedjinski View Post
would you buy a new N900 now or wait for the Dell Mini 5 ?
Honestly, while I've been impressed with Android's quick development (going from being pretty consumer unfriendly with 1.5, to being much much better with 2.1) I don't see the appeal in Android as a non-phone.

As a phone, I think a case can be made for a platform that is well integrated but limiting. I don't need my toaster to run Mutt, so I'm content with it not being open and extensible. But...

Once I get past the utility of a phone, any computing device other than that (like a tablet, or a netbook), I find Android to be much less compelling.

This forum is predominantly made up of people who enjoy tinkering, who want their device to do whatever it is they think it should be able to do (not what the manufacturer thinks it should do, or the carrier). That is a powerful paradigm.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to switchfiend For This Useful Post:
part of my dilemma is that I am looking for the device to be primarily an internet device which would mean browsing, skype, gps, etc and a cell phone a distant second - and I want to be able to have these things with a basic phone plan, not a data plan.

does the N900 fall into these possibilities?

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
part of my dilemma is that I am looking for the device to be primarily an internet device which would mean browsing, skype, gps, etc and a cell phone a distant second - and I want to be able to have these things with a basic phone plan, not a data plan.

I think a device that has Skype with video and can be used as a basic Verizon provider phone would get my immidiate attention.

It is possible. But for GPS, be prepared to start the GPS with a good view of the sky for 5 to 20 minutes before you need it. Best to turn it on with a good view of the sky before you leave the range of your wifi.

Many people find the built in GPS application not very useful. Good third party GPS (both paid and free) should eventually be available.

If you are looking for an Internet device the N900 is what you're looking for, but I can't understand what you mean with "with a basic phone plan"... You are going to spend tons of gold without a data plan (or wifi).

sorry should have clarified that -

no on the data plan -

yes on the wi-fi - that would be the primary connection to the internet - browsing, skype, etc.

Yes, but without a data plan, you're obviously going to have to use wifi.

Edit: damnit, should refresh tabs before replying.