Active Topics

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
I'd be more interested in upgrading the rootfs. It would make the maemo to Meego transition way smoother.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by ScottishDuck View Post
I'd be more interested in upgrading the rootfs. It would make the maemo to Meego transition way smoother.
That'd involve replacing the OneNAND.
It'd be a lot better to simply modify NOLO/replace it with uBoot and mount the OneNAND as /boot, and the whole eMMC as / . Probably we can work an exported myDocs partition using HAL/DBus, and NOT rely on using genfstab.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Oh, that's what you meant. I don't think I can change temps that fast with my heat gun.

There'd also be the problem of evenly heating the board, which my heat gun cannot do.

Anyone here think that it'd be OK to simply shield the rest of the board with aluminum foil?
That is just an example, every component may have a different maximum temp and heating rates... I don't know wich would be the actual parameters for a mobile phone... and with components so close to each others shielding the surrounding chips may be very ineffective...

With larger PCBs evenly heating the board is really an issue, but I don't know in this case...

but anyway... this is just talk! I would not try it unless I get an N950 first! :-D and we even don't know if the chips are compatible at all...

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Yeah, I wouldn't risk my N900 to upgrade the eMMC.
It's pretty much the only phone out there that has what I need (Maemo) and the power to do it (600 MHz OMAP3).

I don't even know if I can find a replacement N900 should I lose mine

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Even, if these were compatible with N900 we couldn't just order couple. We would need to order thousands or try to get some samples thought some company.

Yup, I know that. I just ordered a sample 3530 from TI. Not that I'm going to try to jam that in. That's a big NOPE.

Probably a lengthy email to their sales department MIGHT convince them. Proooooobably.

TI has a great sample program, they never have denied me a sample and they ship it worldwide, free of charge

Anyway... I must say I needed their samples for real electronics projects, i didn't lie when i filled their form, if you ask for a uP just to have it collecting dust maybe you will get another answer

Last edited by NoX; 2011-05-31 at 21:45.

Nah, it's not going to collect dust. I'm going to try to build a poor-man's Beagleboard.

I obvoiously do NOT have board production equipment, so it might be a few boards thick, every layer manually etched D:

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
I take it you haven't seen this thread? When I first read the thread I wondered if it would be possible to upgrade the emmc, but couldn't find any for sale - not that I have the skills to do so.

I don't know if he is interested, but maybe Durango would do a swap for a working device? They go for about £130 on ebay.

Yeah, I've seen the thread. Even if I did have a spare N900 on hand, I still wouldn't know where to pick up a 128GB eMMC.