The N900 can turn itself on and raise an alarm at specific times - one of it's most greatest and power-saving features.
You are then given the option to go ahead with the boot, or to stop and power off.

All I want is my phone to turn itself on in the mornings, so that it can run the startup scripts I give it.

So how hard can it be to implement a feature that does this?
It's not a hardware issue, because the N900 alarm's feature allows it to boot at specific times. The only problem is that it requires further input to complete the boot cycle.

Is it a kernel feature problem? Is it just basic software?
HOW!? How do I get my phone to bootup by itself?

Lovingly,
tetris11_

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Romania
that would be awsome if doesn't involve to much battery drain during bootups...

it's the same battery drain as a regular bootup surely?

But this way I don't have to keep my phone on all night so it can run an Alarmed script at 7:15 AM.

This way it just boots up by itself at 7:00 AM and my scripts kick in 15mins later, saving a whole nights worth of battery power.

Last edited by tetris11_; 2011-10-10 at 16:47.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I would suspect that 8 hours idle consumes less power than 8 hours off followed by the vibration & other actions on startup.

My N900 is off-network overnights, but plays clock chimes every 15 minutes. The battery graph shows no discernible power use overnights if there are no phone calls, etc. But if I have to turn off then re-start the phone, the battery graph afterwards clearly shows a reduction in battery reserve.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
Yes @rotoflex is right. Battery drains faster when the system boots up than leaving it on with all antennas off.
Personally I have my phone always powered on and using 2 alarmed scripts, one at 0.30 every day and one at 8.30 I let it switch to flight mode on and off.
My battery consumption is about 2-3% during these 8 hours, while rebooting drains the battery about 9-10% and even more sometimes.
Bye.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
YMMV but there's already been people testing the actual battery consumption of leaving the N900, say, 8 hours in off-line compared to turning it off and on after 8 hours.

The outcome was that the off/on action needs less energy than leaving it off-line. Perhaps for a shorter period (1h?) it may be the other way around..

I personally leave it always on, always on-line, but I have my "night" profile activated automatically each night.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
People, remember the internal battery measuring software takes a lot of approximations to show you what the charge level is. Rebooting looks like it uses more energy than it actually does because of that. This has been known for a long time now, and there are detailed threads on this topic.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: