Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
If nokia is putting their maps on firefoox...
Nokia has confirmed this?

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/...le-everywhere/

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Well every site i've been on is saying so
link
Link2

So the firefox marketplace will have Here maps app

[edit]
here we go:

Last edited by mariusmssj; 2013-02-26 at 16:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
yes nokia maps on firefox but i don't think it will a donation everything has price especially the only decent nokia service .

yeah at firefox's and nokia's press conference at mwc yesterday.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Nokia won't charge heaps, it's part of their Maps strategy, there's been some detailed write-ups at MNB...
Being ubiquitous is far more important to them than charging a premium, ofc, WP will "generally" get the goodies 1st, & in some cases have "exclusive" features.
And on some platforms it prolly won't be "technically feasible" to add (some) functionality that exists on others, esp. the ones focused heavily/mainly on HTML5.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-02-26 at 16:51. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I think it's just hidden from view. The UI stops at 9, simply ignoring what's beyond. But I agree that 9 is simply not enough!
Still better than BB10, which just plainly kills the oldest application when the 9th is opened.

Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Well every site i've been on is saying so
link
Link2

So the firefox marketplace will have Here maps app
I wonder how they will implemented that - if as a real "native" Firefox HTML5 & js application, or if they can reuse some code from other platforms and do a real compiled/binary native app.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Still better than BB10, which just plainly kills the oldest application when the 9th is opened.

I wonder how they will implemented that - if as a real "native" Firefox HTML5 & js application, or if they can reuse some code from other platforms and do a real compiled/binary native app.
isn't the maps for n9 buit with qt, it would be a pretty easy to port and update. That is me just guessing, I hope they don't do a webwrapper app. Nokia wants maps used by more people so they get more data back. They are building the android and ios, so lets hope they build a proper native app.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Qt dev 101, free course being offered at Eliademy (CBtec)
https://twitter.com/melsop74/status/306077828309450752
This is a nice touch (CBtec was also formed by ex-Nokians).

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Isn't that the same thing we heard from Nokia? They said similar things about how open they were and about how they contributed tons to the kernel... Meanwhile, they continued to close up more and more of the OS and deprecate older hardware with planned obsolescence by making sure the core of the operating system and as much of the system remained closed-source and irrevocably locked up from any new kernels, security updates and even open-source replacements for system-dependent applications (battery system, media player, even calendar, etc.). They say one thing, but in practice they do other things. It's like someone telling you that you're perfectly fine and safe, while they reach around you to repeatedly stab you in the back.

I've learned to believe it when I see it.

Again nothing will be fully open in ANY OS. People should stop being so naive Stallman fanatics.

In case of SailfishOS: my guess is the silica library(means the SDK) will be opensource but not the core apps delivered on theyr end device.

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open