Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Everything in that interview screams out that it's going to have relatively mediocre specs, yet they're still going to target it as "high-end", but with "mid-tier" pricing.
It better damn well be mid-tier pricing if the hw (overall) is mid-tier*, it also gels with stuff I've researched previously, & subsequently surmised/posted about.

*having a top-notch build_quality/enclosure only doesn't count as having top-notch hw nowadays, you need that "+" top-notch SoC/Display etc, else you're mid-tier.
Why do you need topmost triple core device on a smartphone
Take a look at the N950 with Sailfish it seems run ok on a three year old device. So even if its a year old SoC its probadly very good on salfish.

Again its not a bloated Android OS were talking about.

People are fools and blinded by latest specs.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I can live with it, that's not my point, I can see the write-ups in major tech blogs, that's where the damage will come, if it's mediocre hw (overall) is reflected by a price that's much less than top-end devices, then that may be considered by bloggers & result in a better conclusion, but it'll always be qualified (rightly or wrongly) by: "but you're not getting the latest l337 hw, & that's a concern for xyz reason".

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-02-28 at 04:19. Reason: typo

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Something is special about the display, from Jollafr.org in an interview of Marc Dillon:

He (Marc) said that Jolla is using a new screen technology, that could technically manage LPM, but cannot be used practically because of QHD resolution. He concluded the discussion by saying that Jolla will release a different phone, with a fantastic display and a great user experience.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Interesting... QHD is fail though, but not necessarily if it's priced right, I guess...

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
QHD? On what size, 4,5-5''? Frankly i'm not too comfortable with low DPI after working with Galaxy Nexus display. It's the same reason that 1024x768 on 9.7'' looks sh7te.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Why do you need topmost triple core device on a smartphone
If resources are there, you (or someone else) can and will always use / max them out. Better "better" hardware than too little. (Nokia's Symbian devices, anyone?)

Again its not a bloated Android OS were talking about.
If bloated enables me to do my tasks without swearing or broken implementations, that's ok i guess.

People are fools and blinded by latest specs.
Often. Not always.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-02-27 at 22:37.

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 1,345 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Paris, FR
QHD like qHD seems to be pretty weak indeed, but actually I didn't understood what Marc said exactly. He was saying HD or QHD. What if it was WQHD ?

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
He (Marc) said that Jolla is using a new screen technology, that could technically manage LPM, but cannot be used practically because of QHD resolution. He concluded the discussion by saying that Jolla will release a different phone, with a fantastic display and a great user experience.
I am hoping they will use a LPM-screen I can not live without a Stand-by screen anymore.

Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
I am hoping they will use a LPM-screen I can not live without a Stand-by screen anymore.
I'm also worried about that, my hope is that since they are mostly ex nokians, the stand by screen might be in thier dna.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brazil
Q: Will Sailfish have support for AMOLED standby screens like the N9 has? Might Jolla devices use AMOLED? Loved it on N85 & N9.
Jolla: The system can support it, but it is dependent on the display hardware.

https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/304262318051704833

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
about new screen tech...

transparent screen maybe?

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?