Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
no because if google is getting to big the information is not free.

or more like this: if everything is routed google servers the future is like George Orwels 1984.

And thats unfreedom same as when every damn PC was runing Windows but worse.

But if you prefer sticking your head in the sand, and beleive everything is good with Google owns everything online, thats up to you.

Btw. Some people almost says Samsung OWNS Southkorea and personally I dont think its good in the long run for soutkorean people that a company owns them...
Speaking of sticking your head in the sand, I'm pretty sure 1984 wasn't about oligopolies. If you think so, you might want to go back and actually read it. Last I checked, Google wasn't the only nor biggest threat to privacy. Have you actually used or understood what Facebook does and how it has violated trust in practice, not theory, before? How about Microsoft? If we're to go on a practical and historic track record, I'll trust Google before I promote Microsoft and Nokia--especially given that the latter have ACTUALLY proven their not trustworthy while Google has at least been relatively transparent about what they collect and share and with whom. Better still, I'm glad to see Google is one of the few that actually CHALLENGES government requests for private information of its customers in addition to their ACTUAL and genuine efforts to promote openness and open-source, unlike Nokia's puffered statements that proved less than open or open-source promoting.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Well, even if Microsoft requires a locked bootloader, they could have a -W version with a locked bootloader, and the same exact hardware in an unlocked version. Then someone would release a how-to install Windows RT guide.

It's a model that has worked well for Microsoft in the past. The only model that has worked well for Microsoft in the past, one might say. "Install our operating system on the hardware of your choice".

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Speaking of sticking your head in the sand, I'm pretty sure 1984 wasn't about oligopolies. If you think so, you might want to go back and actually read it. Last I checked, Google wasn't the only nor biggest threat to privacy. Have you actually used or understood what Facebook does and how it has violated trust in practice, not theory, before? How about Microsoft? If we're to go on a practical and historic track record, I'll trust Google before I promote Microsoft and Nokia--especially given that the latter have ACTUALLY proven their not trustworthy while Google has at least been relatively transparent about what they collect and share and with whom. Better still, I'm glad to see Google is one of the few that actually CHALLENGES government requests for private information of its customers in addition to their ACTUAL and genuine efforts to promote openness and open-source, unlike Nokia's puffered statements that proved less than open or open-source promoting.
NONE of above is IMHO any better than the other. Difference is you say Google is better I say thats bullish. Same **** different name. I am sure evryone is in bed with US governance.

Dont come say Google is a more ope. Also the fact that google just tried to scan every book, without asking for permission, saying "hey people wants info to be free" yeah right. What they want is to take control on everything related to media.

Funny is the younger generation are stupid enought beleive in "google is your friend". Like they care more about you than any other no way!

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-04-16 at 17:21.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
NONE of above is IMHO any better than the other. Difference is you say Google is better I say thats bullish. Same **** different name. I am sure evryone is in bed with US governance.

Dont come say Google is a more ope. Also the fact that google just tried to scan every book, without asking for permission, saying "hey people wants info to be free" yeah right. What they want is to take control on everything related to media.

Funny is the younger generation are stupid enought beleive in "google is your friend". Like they care more about you than any other no way!
Nobody is saying anyone should trust Google. It's just that when it comes to the "trust but verify" method of using them but following up on the impression of openness and trustworthiness, they just been proven to be far more open and honest in practice so far, whereas Microsoft and Nokia have bragged and pretended to be "open" and honest and better when they've, in practice, proven not to be.

Nokia would NEVER secretly phone home your information with their devices over SMS and then delete the history of that, would they? Noooooooo.. never! Google, so far, has at least made it known what they do and don't really make any of it a secret.

...Just saying.

...Also, what's this "younger generation" crap? hah
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by volt View Post
It's a model that has worked well for Microsoft in the past. The only model that has worked well for Microsoft in the past, one might say. "Install our operating system on the hardware of your choice".
I think you mean "Our operating system comes with this hardware whether you like it or not"

BeOS, Hitachi.

Last edited by Cue; 2013-04-17 at 14:18.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Nokia Q1 results out.

WP sales in line with expectations (but still at a very low level). Symbian probably in its last quarter of making any significant contribution. Series 30/Series 40 sales took a bit of a pasting though.

The numbers will be disappointing for WP regardless. WP sales are still less than 5% of the market for smart devices and there is no sign of an improvement.

As a global mobile phone brand - Nokia will be finished within a year I think.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Nokia posts first quarter loss of €272 million

Stockholm: Nokia Oyj, the Finnish mobile-phone maker seeking a comeback, reported its smallest quarterly revenue in 13 years as handset demand waned, missing analysts’ estimates and sending its stock down as much as 13%.
First-quarter sales fell 20% to €5.85 billion ($7.6 billion), Espoo, Finland-based Nokia said on Thursday. Analysts projected €6.52 billion, the average of estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Mobile-phone volumes slumped 25%.
Competition from Asian manufacturers building phones that run Google Inc.’s Android software is hurting demand for Nokia’s basic handsets. The sales miss puts chief executive officer Stephen Elop’s recovery effort at doubt, as nascent demand for the company’s Lumia smartphones isn’t enough to offset plummeting demand for Nokia’s older models.
“The lower-end mobile phone business is not doing well,” Mikko Ervasti, an analyst at Evli Bank Oyj in Helsinki, said in a phone interview. “They need to start pushing their Microsoft-based Lumias into cheaper prices to gain traction in emerging markets.”
Nokia fell as low as €2.30 and lost 9.4% to €2.39 at 2.02pm in Helsinki. The stock tumbled 22% last year, its fifth straight annual drop, and has lost 10% this year through yesterday.
The revenue was the smallest since the third quarter of 1999, when Nokia was still a more diverse company with business lines including computer monitors.
‘Tactical actions’
Sales of the flagship Lumias running Microsoft Corp.’s Windows software rose to 5.6 million units from 4.4 million in the fourth quarter as Nokia added versions. Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co.’s quarterly smartphone sales exceed 100 million units combined.
Nokia sold a total of 61.9 million mobile devices during the three months. Analysts on average predicted 73 million units, including 5.7 million Lumias.
“People are responding positively to the Lumia portfolio,” Elop said in the statement. “On the other hand, our mobile phones business faces a difficult competitive environment, and we are taking tactical actions and bringing new innovation to market to address our challenges.”
Revenue at Nokia’s handset business slumped 32% to €2.89 billion. Operating profit at the unit, excluding some items, was 0.1% of sales. The company had predicted a margin of between negative 6% and positive 2%.
This quarter, that margin will be negative 2%, plus or minus 4 percentage points, Nokia predicted. Evli’s Ervasti predicts a margin of 0.7%.
Reducing costs
To reduce costs, Elop has cut more than 20,000 jobs and closed production and research sites since taking over in 2010. For the last three months of 2012, the company posted its first profit in seven quarters.
The first-quarter net loss narrowed to €272 million, or 7 cents a share, from €928 million, 25 cents, a year earlier.
Nokia Siemens Networks, the company’s equipment joint venture with Siemens AG, posted a first-quarter operating profit of €196 million, excluding some items, as sales fell 5% to €2.8 billion.
Cash position
Nokia’s net cash increased to €4.5 billion from €4.4 billion at the end of December. Nokia’s debt is at junk status with the three main rating companies. In January, Nokia scrapped its dividend for the first time in at least 143 years to bolster its liquidity position.
Once the world’s largest smartphone maker, Nokia had more than 50% of the market before Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Android were introduced about six years ago. Nokia has lost about 90% of its market value since then and fallen outside the top-five smartphone makers.
In the last three months of 2012, Cupertino, California-based Apple sold 47.8 million iPhones and South Korea’s Samsung, the biggest maker of Android devices, sold 62 million smartphones.
Elop, who joined from Microsoft, started betting on his former employer’s operating system after Nokia’s homegrown Symbian software fell out of favour among consumers.BLOOMBERG
Source

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
FOR GOT SAKE FIRE ELOP NOW! AND HIRE BACK JOLLA TEAM AND USE SAILFISH OS

why do this big corporations not listen!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
FOR GOT SAKE FIRE ELOP NOW! AND HIRE BACK JOLLA TEAM AND USE SAILFISH OS

why do this big corporations not listen!!!!!!!!!
Why do you think?

While you think about that, think about this. Why don't you listen to me when I telling you iPhone is superior to all your phones?

You should now know the answer for the first question.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Quick, somebody call the fire department!

Name:  nokia-130418.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  23.3 KB

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha