Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Out of curiousity: What would have been STEP2 like? Not like N900, because components are unobtainable (and not powerful enough to run modern websites) by now. Not like N950 because Fxtec is apparently taking up this niche.

I am still looking forward to resistive touch screen (like Pyra?), pocket-able form factor (neither Fxtec nor Pyra can be called small), stylus detector (if possible), RGB backlight for hardware keyboard (that has way too many user-cases and looks nice), sensors (pressure sensor to detect heartbeats? besides obvious altitude estimation and such) and hackerbus (detecting lightning from a long distance away?).

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

P.S. I have got Motorola A780, a cellular PDA running the Linux operating system, for my collection. No stylus though yet - previous owner lost it.

P.P.S. Would be nice to make sure Neo900 resources and schematics are not lost. Even if it will not be built...

I'll eventualy take an opportunity to tell a story about what was planned / were product goals of STEP2 aka Haengsung (internal codename). Basically the main goal was to be competitive to mainstream, and 10000% open. Alas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC-V wasn't able to offer a plausible embedded (open!!) SoC solution yet when we talked to them, so we did what seems to be the only option nowadays: i.MX8. With detachable qwerty kbd integrated into design process from beginning, so you had the choice between standard "phablet" style like 99% of phones, or the much wanted by us freaks palmtop PC, and you could switch between the two any time simly by attaching / removing the kbd

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I hope you managed to deal with the burn-out. Except time, sweat and hope, which is not nothing, did you invest and lose more than what the down payments covered (I mean, capital)?
Dealing with health impact is still on the todo list. The economic impact on my own situation is that of earning a maybe 20% of my regular income for the last 5 some years, so no savings or pension plan. At least so far no huge liabilities to ruin my future life.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Regarding the stall, are there any other funding opportunities? If PIA considered funding the project for some time, maybe others would, never know. What will happen to the sourced N900s if no alternate funding options exist, or if it is now deemed unreasonable to continue anyway?
I'm recently not aware of any other funding opportunities. Though those come unexpected and all of a sudden whenever they came so far. You never know, right. What to do with the sourced N900 is a huge concern to me, no plans yet. Obviously they "belong to the supporters" who financed them, but it's not feasible economically and by workload to send them all out. I'll ponder what to do with them and will let you all know as soon as I find something reasonable and feasible.

/j

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
....... With detachable qwerty kbd integrated into design process from beginning, so you had the choice between standard "phablet" style like 99% of phones, or the much wanted by us freaks palmtop PC, and you could switch between the two any time simly by attaching / removing the kbd
That is very interesting. Have been working with both Moto Keyboard Mod and Pro1, my personal feeling for the detachable keyboard, the biggest problem is the weight balance. Because the phone itself is (supposed) to be heavier and thicker. Unless you make the keyboard even more heavier and thicker (which combines the phone will make a real brick ), it is very hard to solve the balance and weight issue. Hence the Pro1 because the keyboard is together with PCB and battery etc and feels much better in hand.

But that's just my own thoughts, if you might have developed a clever way of having both, I would be most curious to learn...

Wish we could have a chance to meet, I can show you in more details the things we made/tried and the thoughts come across.

And a big thank you again for your contribution to the community. Ultimately it never fail if tried one's best.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
We are getting hopelessly off-topic but I have to chime in with my +1.
The top-heavy weight distribution was my main beef with Jolla+TOHKBD.
So much so that I never learned to like it and eventually let it go.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
There is little thjat'S not already available since I always shared everything that's reasonably sharable without risk. What isn't public yet are the results from efforts of several layouters, which I'll move to the public git soonish

Thanks for pointing at this to remind me :-)
cheers
jOERG
Thank you! That's great news! Just make sure public git repository doesn't go down like Gitorious did...

I'll eventualy take an opportunity to tell a story about what was planned / were product goals of STEP2 aka Haengsung (internal codename). Basically the main goal was to be competitive to mainstream, and 10000% open. Alas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC-V wasn't able to offer a plausible embedded (open!!) SoC solution yet when we talked to them, so we did what seems to be the only option nowadays: i.MX8. With detachable qwerty kbd integrated into design process from beginning, so you had the choice between standard "phablet" style like 99% of phones, or the much wanted by us freaks palmtop PC, and you could switch between the two any time simly by attaching / removing the kbd
RISC-V sounds interesting, what are the specific requirements for a plausible embedded SoC solution? GPU, MIPI (for display and camera), Video encode/decode? Just comparing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I.MX#i.MX_8M_Mini against https://www.sifive.com/chip-designer#fu540 .

Dealing with health impact is still on the todo list. The economic impact on my own situation is that of earning a maybe 20% of my regular income for the last 5 some years, so no savings or pension plan. At least so far no huge liabilities to ruin my future life.

I'm recently not aware of any other funding opportunities. Though those come unexpected and all of a sudden whenever they came so far. You never know, right. What to do with the sourced N900 is a huge concern to me, no plans yet. Obviously they "belong to the supporters" who financed them, but it's not feasible economically and by workload to send them all out. I'll ponder what to do with them and will let you all know as soon as I find something reasonable and feasible.

/j
I hope you will have no new/unexpected health problems. Good luck with funding opportunities! If not Neo900, then at least Step2 would be a nice device to see.

Regarding the sourced N900s: don't send my portion of them to me. Besides obvious part about shipping to Australia being expensive... I already have way too much hardware on my hands, and mint-condition N900s would gather dust, or perhaps even become damaged. Better send them to somebody who can put them to good use, develop for them, enjoy Linux phone as everyday device - I still use N900 as everyday mobile.

Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
That is very interesting. Have been working with both Moto Keyboard Mod and Pro1, my personal feeling for the detachable keyboard, the biggest problem is the weight balance. Because the phone itself is (supposed) to be heavier and thicker. Unless you make the keyboard even more heavier and thicker (which combines the phone will make a real brick ), it is very hard to solve the balance and weight issue. Hence the Pro1 because the keyboard is together with PCB and battery etc and feels much better in hand.

But that's just my own thoughts, if you might have developed a clever way of having both, I would be most curious to learn...

Wish we could have a chance to meet, I can show you in more details the things we made/tried and the thoughts come across.

And a big thank you again for your contribution to the community. Ultimately it never fail if tried one's best.
So far, I see about two ways to go about weight balance: 1) make keyboard even thicker and heavier than phone (then phone with keyboard is a brick), as pointed out above; 2) make it sort-of three-part device, where user can carry either phone+display, or phone+keyboard+display, thus redistributing the weight from display to keyboard when attaching the keyboard - mechanically tricky; some users might even want to carry phone+keyboard, without display - which means that 'phone' module includes not only CPU+RAM+wireless, but also audio card and speakers and microphone as well; whereas GPU is probably inside 'display' module - but that's all too tricky to keep from falling apart.

That's, of course, if you want to keep it a slider. There are other, less conventional configurations in the history of mobiles, as well ;-)

Thank you. Best wishes,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post

Many thanks!
I agree on your reasoning regarding weight / balance. I came up with a solution to that which involved a detachable "battery" (actually a tad more than just battery) so you had the kbd become a layer in between the sandwich of battery below and display above. Seemed to basically solve the balance issue, needed particular care about the mechanical and electrical connection and fixation, which can be done when you design-in those features right from start.
Regarding meeting, it would be great to find an opportunity for that. Maybe somebody eventually sponsors a few flight tickets, or you happen to attend one of the occasional European hacker events like ChaosCommunicationCamp 2019-08-21 to 25, if so please let me know and we'll arrange something.

cheers
jOERG

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Hello Joerg and thank you for your hard work.

What to do with the sourced N900 is a huge concern to me, no plans yet. Obviously they "belong to the supporters" who financed them, but it's not feasible economically and by workload to send them all out. I'll ponder what to do with them and will let you all know as soon as I find something reasonable and feasible.
I just wanted to say that I will be very glad to get an (actual working) N900 and I am more than willing to reimburse all additional costs.

I never had this phone (my first Maemo device was N9) and I consider this opportunity to have it the next best thing after getting the Neo900.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ScumCoder For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Just noticed this edit on my deleted message above:
"[edit Joerg: doubleclick on "send"]"

Let me assure you that that was not the case. I clicked "send" and TMO started acting like it usually does when you post something, but after a while (it felt like 5 minutes, but may have been just 2) it acted like it had given up and I ended up on the same message editing page. So I clicked "send" again, following which two copies of my post appeared.

You may say it's my fault, I sent the message twice. I would argue that a well designed forum software should not allow a thing like that happen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
What we have to do to get Neo900 to next winter?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
you can hope for winter all you like ..
Its dead.
It isn't happening.
period.
As has been stated.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!