Notices

Sorry to open a new topic, but I was not able to find the official one.
I ask to the author to correct the following bug.
I selected the italian lamguage, but when I double press the button it speaks everithing in italian except the name of the day and the name of the month.
But if use the TEST inside the settings everithing works fine.
Please correct it, because I like it, it's very cool and all people around look when I use espeak.
Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patroclo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Sorry for reviving very old thread. And especially as this is not even a bug report but a request to anybody familiar with espeak, espeaktime, N900 dbus:

If anybody feels like, please see here.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Sorry for reviving very old thread. And especially as this is not even a bug report but a request to anybody familiar with espeak, espeaktime, N900 dbus:

If anybody feels like, please see here.
It may be (for sure is) the wrong thread to ask, nevertheless:
power button push needs often (especially when screen blanked and device locked) double press to wake up and shpw slider. Hereby espeaktime is triggered.
This has annoyed me always and also blocked me from using timenow .
If some kind soul would recompile espeaktime with setting "triple push" (needa to be verified) to trigger the little (wo)man to speak, this would be excellent and make it 'compatible' with timenow.
tia
The code that decides whether time should be spoken seems to reside in package espeaktime-python_0.2-2_all.deb (found in extras devel via web interface), file /opt/maemo/usr/bin/espeaktime.py:
Code:
		if name == 'ButtonPressed' and args[0] == 'power':
			print "power button"
			if self.display_status == "on" and self.tklock_mode == "locked":
				s = time.strftime("%H:%M")
				print "speak: [%s]" % s
				print os.system("espeak \"%s\"" % s)
It seems it plays sound not exactly on double press, but on press of power button when display is on and tklock is locked (so basically when lockscreen is visible on screen, power button keypress will cause espeak to speak time). It would need more changes to enable triple press (some variable which counts presses and it should be set to 0 on each screen dimming and should increment in the place I quoted, and after reaching 2 it should say time (and set itself to 0 again, I think).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Thanks misiak for looking into this.

But how comes you refer to Python?
I have espeaktime v 0.5.1 (probably from devel) and there is only a event.d script, a shell script and an executable executable (this one in /opt/maemo/usr/bin). If I would have found a python script to tinker with I would have done/tried myself. Therefore my request.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Thanks misiak for looking into this.

But how comes you refer to Python?
I have espeaktime v 0.5.1 (probably from devel) and there is only a event.d script, a shell script and an executable executable (this one in /opt/maemo/usr/bin). If I would have found a python script to tinker with I would have done/tried myself. Therefore my request.
No problem

I just googled "espeaktime maemo" and found http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d.../e/espeaktime/ - I downloaded the packages and checked what's in them... I'm not using espeaktime, so I don't even know which packages are installed along with it (version numbers suggest I might have downloaded something deprecated...) what does the fox "dpkg -l | grep espeak" say?

Yep, googling seems a bit strange...

Here is the package. And here the sources. [already checked version and also dpkg -S espeaktime revealed me there is only an executable daemon]

Yep, googling seems a bit strange...

Here is the package. And here the sources. [already checked version and also dpkg -S espeaktime revealed me there is only an executable daemon]
Ok, thanks for clarifying. There is a file deamon.c which has press_count in few places, so I guess it would be easier to change 2 to 3. Will try it during Christmas if I can motivate myself to sit in front of my computer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Ok, so where did python (espeaktime.py) come from then?

Originally Posted by chill View Post
Ok, so where did python (espeaktime.py) come from then?
I've looked into the code as pointed to by peterleichen (and it's not Python). It does have code for detecting whether or not the screen is locked, so it should work. The problem is with the N900s screen:

When you press the power button once, it should show the lock screen, but as we well know, it doesn't. Meanwhile, the lock screen is displayed, it's just that the screen is not backlit. To see what I mean, connect a TV to the N900's TV output, lock the device, and press the power button. The lock screen will show up on the TV but the N900's screen will stay dark (does not happen every time, of course, because the lock screen bug is only occasional).

So the N900 thinks it's showing the lock screen, and espeaktime duly notices and waits for the second power button press. The helpless user then obliges by pressing the second time (because he can't see the lock screen yet), which triggers espeak time even though the user only wants to see the lock screen, not hear the time.

One workaround could be to, since the lock screen display is being registered, to, upon detecting the lock screen, have the N900 display the lock screen again. In pseudocode:

if display_is_on AND device_is_locked then turn_display_on

The goal, if it's not clear, is to avoid having to press the button twice just to see the lock screen. I don't know how to turn the display on without unlocking the screen in the process...maybe set the brightness?

I don't have a better idea right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to chill For This Useful Post: