I have a Jolla and I can confirm:

* Working great on AT&T for 2G.
* None of the UTMS bands the phone supports are available, so 3G/LTE is no-go.
* The input language is listed as English (UK) but based on my cursory inspection, the auto-completion will provide American English suggestions (e.g. color vs colour).

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to wuest For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the confirmation. 2G was expected to work and 3G wasn't. LTE isn't even enabled yet, and we still don't know which LTE frequencies the device supports.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
There was this @Jollahq today

"Jolla supports 900 & 2100 MHz for 3G."

According to Wikipedia
no North American network supports those. Those bands cover all of Europe, Australia & Africa, almost every Asian network and some of Latin America, but obviously not much help for canadians and americans.

Ironically, newer Qualcomm modems are already universal and support all frequencies without segmenting them. We'll have to wait for Jolla to release the next model in a couple of years. Or if they'll decide, they'll release a modified version for the American users.

I would personally be willing to pay more for a version with a newer modem that would allow me to use it in the US and Asia. Any idea what the qualcomm modem they have supports for LTE frequencies which they should be enabling with a later software update?

Jolla probably knows what LTE frequencies are supported in the hardware, but they didn't publish that info yet. May be Qualcomm has common variations of those modems? Than you just need to properly identify it.

Jolla phone in my hand at the moment in Texas. Only able to connect to T-mobile - 2G. I tried a H20 wireless SIM and still only 2G. Missing the UMTS 850 mhz by the looks of it. Last hope is LTE but I am doubtful that it will work when they update the sailfish software to allow for LTE. If that turns out to be the case sadfully I may have a jolla phone on ebay shortly thereafter. It would be a sad day as I am also a proud a N900 and an N9 owner.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indianarm For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by indianarm View Post
Jolla phone in my hand at the moment in Texas. Only able to connect to T-mobile - 2G. I tried a H20 wireless SIM and still only 2G. Missing the UMTS 850 mhz by the looks of it. Last hope is LTE but I am doubtful that it will work when they update the sailfish software to allow for LTE. If that turns out to be the case sadfully I may have a jolla phone on ebay shortly thereafter. It would be a sad day as I am also a proud a N900 and an N9 owner.
That sucks, but with that said, why not hold out and see what happens?

I truly doubt the current chipset will support our LTE bands - the GSM bands don't work - but it was not a phone for use in the North American market as-is...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
Re: Australia

Originally Posted by mattaustin View Post
I'm on Virgin Mobile (Optus), so will see how compatible the device is, although I don't mind switching provider if I need to.
I'm happy to report my Jolla is working on Virgin Mobile 3G (Optus). I just had to manually configure the access point.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattaustin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Relevant news to this thread: supported frequencies of the Jolla phone have been officially published in jolla.com

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz
4G LTE** (Works on 6 continents)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post: