Active Topics

In addition to what the thread subject says, I'm specifically referring to the Enter/Return key found in the physical keyboard.

I've read in other similar threads that a lot of users wouldn't want to have this and would consider this a bug. That's their preference. I myself, who has been texting for more than 10 years haven't found any need to insert Newlines for formatting or other purposes.

In addition to that, I would also want to have C-Return bound to inserting a Newline, had the need to do it, actually arises.

Are these things doable?

Edit: I accidentally posted in the wrong section. Please move this thread to "Maemo 5 / Fremantle".

The Following User Says Thank You to ebzzry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
This is suspiciously like a repost of the original question.

You must have missed the part in the other thread where it said that conversations is a closed application, no source code available.

Tell me something though, and I brought this up in the other thread - for those of us that do require new lines in text messages, what, exactly, do you propose? That we suffer a change in default behavior of a keyboard function that has been established for 130 odd years already, simply because YOU are having trouble moving your finger the tremendously taxing distance between the keyboard and the "Send" button?

I tell you what, you get the source from Nokia and I'll code in a configuration option just for you.

I understand that the conversations app is closed source and nothing can be done but I would have to agree with the original poster..

I am used to pressing enter to send messages to IM contacts and not sending an sms has happened to me because I pressed enter. Now I got used to pressing send so that's not a problem.

I do have something to say though. "Suffer" is really wrongly used here. I understand when you say that enter will take you to a new line if you're talking about a PC but this (sending an sms) is a phone function and you want it to be practical.
Second of all, HE is not the only one having trouble. Third, it is not the "tremendously taxing distance" that matters it's just that people use the keyboard to write a message and expect to have a button to send it too; the logical button to do so would be enter. I would understand you criticizing him if he was talking about another button and not the touch screen. It is a completely different interface.

And finally, there is no need to be aggressive but I do agree with you; there is no need to hassle admins with double posts by creating new threads for a request that has already been asked and has no solution.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
I wasn't being aggressive at all - merely a little confounded that the same question would be asked again when the first thread had all the answers.

I'm sure you've heard it repeated often, the N900 is not a phone, it's a tablet computer - with phone features. For me, at least, it is an accurate statement given the things I do.

If you followed the other thread, I never said it was a bad idea, I said it'd be good to implement such a feature as an 'opt in' configuration setting - or maybe even default to ctrl + enter to send the message.

The N900 is what it is, people have expectations for sure, but to use an analogy - In Australia we drive on the left hand side of the road, here in Asia the right side - it's just a different way of doing the same thing, for sure it is a challenge at first, but you adapt.

I'll digress a bit. dchky, if you look carefully, I posted in this subforum first, by mistake. I then edited that post, requesting that it be moved to the Fremantle subsection. When it wasn't moved, I made a new thread with the same contents in the correct subforum.

Your confoundedness could have been resolved earlier, had you taken the time to read.

Meh. That about sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
If this would get changed by default, then please only with a Question before sending if you really want to send the message now.

I know, this would make the change useless, but I don't want to send a message by accident only because I wanted to make a new line after a "Hello Honey,"

I don't know, I understand the concern....

I was thrown off at first, but I got used to it. The behaviour makes sense in everything but SMS... I feel like it might have been smart for them to have the option to have the enter key as 'send' and have something like ctrl-enter for a new line.

But there's no point in arguing at this point.

The Following User Says Thank You to tushyd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by tushyd View Post
I feel like it might have been smart for them to have the option to have the enter key as 'send' and have something like ctrl-enter for a new line.
Yes, or vice versa... and at some point you have the same problem like me. If you typing for a long time at ICQ, creating new lines using CTRL+ENTER and then writing the next day a Outlook E-Mail at the office and hitting the same way CTRL+ENTER to create a new line... wondering and swearing why the damed email with only "Dear Sir," is now on it's way to the customer!

No, please not the same stuff at my SMS messages. Not without asking if I really want to send the message now to avoid pressing enter by accident.