Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
The US has been in top in most campaigns I have seen.
That's hardly surprising, given countries' relative populations. The amount or number of donations divided by the respective country's population would give a better figure. No, dos1, I am seriously suggesting that you should actually implement it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That's hardly surprising, given countries' relative populations. The amount or number of donations divided by the respective country's population would give a better figure. No, dos1, I am seriously suggesting that you should actually implement it
That's is how most campaigns count so relax.

Sweden and Netherlands are about the size of London so do I doubt they can beat UK without a count like that ?!?!

It doesn't matter how you count as long as you count. It will be fun either way.

BTW...joerg or dos. This guy is in trouble.can you help him out?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...33&postcount=5

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-11-02 at 13:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
It begins once again.

We've just been /.'ed.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/1...to-nokias-n900

brb, have to recheck traffic optimizations

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
I only read the first 45 pages, so if what I'm going to ask is answered in the remaining 60 pages I'll be happy to read them. It'll just take a while until my headache is gone. (Pointers would be nice!)

On neo900.org/specs it is written that the Neo900 would come with or support Debian. Does that mean I could use it as a phone (making/receiving calls, being notified about missed calls, SMS, mobile internet) with Debian instead of Maemo?
Easy to use CLI tools would suffice.

Ideally I'd like to run a vanilla Debian, although I realize that using another Kernel (the Fremantle port?) might be useful due to power consumption reasons.
Two to three days battery runtime would be enough, at the moment I have 5-7 days with a very outdated KP.

So basically what I'd like to have is not a better N900 with Maemo but a mobile pocket Debian terminal that accidentally happens to double as a dumbphone.
If that works I'll happily pay 700 Euros for the device. And if the price drops even further I might be inclined to put a backup board in my closet.

Oh, and what about the watchdog? Will there be one in the Neo900? If so, can I deactivate it and have whole night long compile orgies without having a bad sleep because I always worry about the device having rebooted?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I think you're using such plain debian system already every day: maemo5 (maemo IS a debian system). Just remove all "cruft" from the init scripts and instead start a plain xterm or even console. GPRS setup, call initiation and accepting, sms - all can get done via pnatd and/or a few python scripts. Notification of missed calls is in pnatd log as well (hint "RINGING")
All that applies to N900 with stock maemo, and for sure will apply to Neo900 as well, since we're going to be maemo-fremantle compatible. The more it applies to a plain vanilla debian you may want to use on Neo900.

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-02 at 17:30.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I think you're using such plain debian system already every day: maemo5
By all means, unfortunately I'm not.
Maemo is full of legacy and proprietary blobs. Despite all the efforts you and others working on KP and CSSU have put into Maemo and all the things you've accomplished (which has my highest respect) It's dependency hell at its worst.

With vanilla Debian I mean I want to be able to add the Debian repositories (rather: use them exclusively), install and run random software (as long as the hardware can handle it) without having to worry about the fact that the system is stuck in a "temporal rift" somewhere between Etch and Jessie.

edit:
Basically what I want is to free Easy Debian from it's chroot ties while still having a working telephone.

Last edited by sulu; 2013-11-02 at 17:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
R. J. 2013-11-02 19:00:38 150.00 EUR
was the one who lifted us to
level-II reached

many thanks to all donors for your incredible support - and a very special thankyou to all the donors of donations <100EUR since they evidently contributed just for the love to the project.
You're an awesome bunch! :-) Keep it rolling, no doubt we'll reach level-III final goal too.

cheers
jOERG

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Basically what I want is to free Easy Debian from it's chroot ties while still having a working telephone.
It looks like you are not aware of recent developments in that very area:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89416]
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91709

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It looks like you are not aware of recent developments in that very area:
You're right, I wasn't aware of it.

But it's not what I want. From my point of view Aapo is going in the wrong direction (still I wish him success) with recompiling Debian to make it compatible with the broken Maemo design.
What I want is Debian from the official repository as it is, running as a phone OS.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
What I want is Debian from the official repository as it is, running as a phone OS.
Sure, you'll be able to do that. I know some people who are using plain Debian GNU/Linux with freesmartphone.org middleware as their main phone OS on Openmoko Neo Freerunner. Nothing stops you from doing the same on GTA04 and nothing will stop you from doing the same on Neo900

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!