Posts: 46 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
The last comments in the bug report suggest that, as long as you don't need to scan and connect to APs with known parameters it works. A useful workaround would be a GUI application that could store profiles and do all the connection magic without scanning.

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to invest into my 770 now. :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to pablob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by pablob View Post
The last comments in the bug report :-(
It's a while since I looked at the Bugzilla thread, and I was not aware of this development. Thanks for bringing it to our attention in the Maemo Talk forum. I have edited my previous post in this thread accordingly.

Thanks for the links to the workarround.
I did not check it out yet but it could be a solution to use the N770 at home.

Best Regards,
ReverZ

I also ran into this problem. One day, I suddenly couldn't see any APs in my home, but could elsewhere. I chalked it up to the N problem but didn't go much further. I don't really use my tablet much at home.

It was sort of confirmed when I went to a friend's house and also could not see any available connections. I asked if he was running N, and he confirmed. He turned his router to G and unhid the SSID, and I was in.

I remembered someone saying that they could connect if they stored the SSID and parameters in Connections. I guess what pablob mentions above, also. Just today, I tried it. Well, actually with a neighbour's open connection. I went to Control Panel/Connectivity (OS 2007 HE) and entered in a name, the SSID, etc. and saved. BOOM! I could then see a bunch of APs. I could even refresh and they'd come back. I connected just fine.

The funny thing is that once I disconnected, I could no longer see any. Back to the way it was before. But if I go back into Connectivity, edit and scroll through the saved connection and re-save, I can see them again and reconnect.

Not an exhaustive test, but I tried this disconnect/edit/save process 3 times with the same results. So I think I have a workaround for known APs.

This won't help of course if you're in a strange place and scanning without knowing what you're supposed to be hooking up to though. But it's better than nothing. Hope it helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to cecil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cecil View Post
Well, actually with a neighbour's open connection. I went to Control Panel/Connectivity (OS 2007 HE) and entered in a name, the SSID, etc. and saved. BOOM! I could then see a bunch of APs. I could even refresh and they'd come back. I connected just fine.
I have just tried with my 770 with OS2008HE, and it does not seem to work (drats!). It does work with OS2007HE though.

That's a great workaround, thanks!

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Cincy,Ohio
Simple prob. The 770 DOES NOT support 802.11 n. Only B/G. Set your box to B or G access. Maybe a new box with 802.11b/g?
The only devices that sees N is the n 810 and n900!

OS 2007HE

Actually, the 770 has a bug where the mere presence of a 802.11n router kills the ability to scan for wireless networks (irrespective of whether those networks are n, b or g). If it were a question of just not being able to connect to 802.11n access points that would not be a problem for me (my home router is b/g).

It also seems that having too many b/g access points also kills the scanning (I don't know if that has been confirmed, but none of the 31 APs I can see nearby seem to have speeds larger than 54 mbit/s so I'd say they are not 802.11n).

In any case, if I could find out which neighbour has a 802.11n router I don't think I could disable n on it.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by pablob View Post
I have just tried with my 770 with OS2008HE, and it does not seem to work (drats!).
Glad to see it's not just me. I need Chinook, though, and am willing to do the body-shielding to get it. At high zoom, MicroB on 2007HE cuts off a strip from the right-hand edge of the page. I use one or two reservation sites where I have to fill in fields in that area and need high zoom to see what I am writing. The sites don't recognize Opera as a "real" browser, and don't accept reservations using it.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I just got a Nokia 770 and I have the very same issue... sad
but well ok...I'll find a way around it.

Hi there,
I had the same problem,you can solve that by manually update to on older version of your O.S. at the nokia site.
The latest update has a problem wilth Wlan, the older one worked fine for me.

Succes
Greets
Theo