Posts: 173 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Guffaw: 10 days to N9?
Nokia Norway: We can unfortunately not say anything about that ...

The Following User Says Thank You to Guffaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Even if it only makes it to 12mth I'll be happy...
Not elated, but I doubt we can expect much better, given everything.
It won't be as crap as the N900, for reasons we've gone over & over & over.
And it won't be as good as Android, even when MeeGoCE's factored in.
But that doesn't mean it won't be a fun/interesting ride.
That's the spirit. If you only expect 12 months you'll be happy if you get more than that. Also remember that harmattan (maemo6) is deprecated so it's very unlikely that Nokia will maintain it for very long. Thankfully tha N9 hardware is very good and will last for many years so if we get bored, after 24 months or so, with harmattan we can always move over to the Meego CE which hopefully will work very well for many more years on the N9. Meego CE will probably lack some proprietary apps from Nokia, ie maps, but if you can live without those it will extend the useful/fun lifetime of your device with a few years at least.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
Meego is meego which is only based on Qt but maemo is more than just Qt or anything like that and yeah fremantle is nt short of any support ,not by devs atleast ,maemo is still bigger/better than any OS on the earth.Guess what N9 apps will run on N900 now ,for details check in here .http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...23#post1087423
and with meego 1.3CE we get ever more compatible with "MAEGO6" harmattan. qt apps seems to run smother on latest betatest image of meego1.3 for n900 already and upstart of apps has improved alot since stable 1.2 image(s)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
That's the spirit. If you only expect 12 months you'll be happy if you get more than that.
Yes. As paying customers of Nokia, our expectations have been way too high. In fact, why expect 12 months support? Why not reduce our expectations to 6 months? That way, we can still be happy, even if Nokia abandon the device less than halfway into the warranty period.

I think I will take up psychology and come up with a definition of Espoo Syndrome.

My website

GitHub

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by selfish_russian View Post
What, your phone will become worse than at the time when you bought it, if there would be no update in a year?

Actually, yes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Nokia Car Mode Available for the N9

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...itter-g0-en-na

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to scapegoat845 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by scapegoat845 View Post
Nokia Car Mode Available for the N9

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...itter-g0-en-na
That is great! Shame I don't have car with MirrorLink. Does N9 has one as accessory?

Last edited by babraq; 2011-09-16 at 16:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babraq For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Yeah? How come? It will turn into pumpkin in a year? No. It will be the same phone as a year before.
You obviously know nothing about software updates !.

Yeah? How come? It will turn into pumpkin in a year? No. It will be the same phone as a year before.
Love the attitude my selfish_russian....

I am not from america, and sometimes find it strange how people speak about dumping their 6 month old phone to go for that new Bionic.... if you ask why, there is never a solid reply...
holy hell, if you just use whatsapp and facebook, why not buy a good e72 at a fraction of the price....

the same consumerist mindset in paying to get that "extra child support", and installing fart apps...

you know what? World over people spend 4 million hours per day playing angrybirds.... at a rough estimate of $100 per hour productivity (for the kind of demographic that uses supersmartphones), that is $400million already PER DAY....

No wonder american and european GDP growth has come to a standstill... When did the recession start? the same year iphone app store was released?? Ok that was coincidence, but how many mfking hours do we spend here speculating about products and dreaming of our next phone......

Consumerism! the messiah and the devil of our generation...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
Pfff. Stop this silly "long-support-is-a-must" talk!
Before iphone nobody cared about support.
Damn, I'm having HTC diamond for 3 years and it had ZERO support for all these 3 years.
People always cared about support. I assume you mean firmware updates in your quote. If you say that people didn't care about firmware updates before the iPhone, that may be partially true.
But I think it is mostly because more modern devices can do a lot more things, and often are released with bugs in a number of the advertised features (in order to release "on time").

If the N9 has some nasty bugs in the software on release, buyers will want them fixed. And given the fact that the N9 will be the last MeeGo Nokia phone, and development on the platform will be lowered, it is a valid question to ask how much "support" the N9 will get from Nokia.

Nokia has a bit of a variable track-record in this regard, even on the "flagship" devices. The Nokia N96 is in my opinion the best example. The device was insanely buggy and firmware updates were very slowly released, especially for the carrier branded versions.
I am satisfied with the updates from Nokia for the devices I have and have owned (N95, 5800, 770, N800, N900, C7).
Not always great, but most of my problems were fixed in the end, so I will probably give Nokia the benefit of the doubt.

But I can understand that owner of some other Nokia devices like the N96, N73 and N97 would not share that sentiment.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????