Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by enne30 View Post
No way to overcome postage limitation or they check packages strictly?
Some EU countries (AFAIK Finland, Italy and Germany) has strict regulation about device with build-in batteries, if it can't be removed, then you have to use DHL or other carriers, and they are awfully expensive.

A few years ago was trying to buy some new N9 64gb from a previous Nokia staff then it turned out that postage became almost the same as the device itself...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yep.
They do send but you have to expect at least 50€!

What I did not understand that Jolla could send it for around 20€ (via UPS).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Some EU countries (AFAIK Finland, Italy and Germany) has strict regulation about device with build-in batteries, if it can't be removed, then you have to use DHL or other carriers, and they are awfully expensive.

A few years ago was trying to buy some new N9 64gb from a previous Nokia staff then it turned out that postage became almost the same as the device itself...
Never heard about that here in Italy... I'll investigate it, maybe at post offices they just do not care much about this rule...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enne30 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I find this battery paranoia absolutely ridiculous. One package in the cargo hold with a battery inside is going to down the aeroplane. Like there were not 150 passengers on the floor above, each with a phone with a battery n their pocket.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I find this battery paranoia absolutely ridiculous. One package in the cargo hold with a battery inside is going to down the aeroplane. Like there were not 150 passengers on the floor above, each with a phone with a battery n their pocket.
I would assume the idea is that, if one is hiding an explosive within a battery casing, one would not want to be near the explosive when it goes off. Thus, if you are willing to remain next to your apparently-battery-powered device at all times, you must not be a threat; only batteries that are being shipped separately are dangerous.

Sadly, in today's world of suicide attackers, this line of defense is not nearly as useful as it may have been in the past...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
I have couple N950's that I could sell. But currently only in Finland, as Finnish post office currently doesnt allow sending batteries in the phone.

One devkit in unopened mint condition, another devkit box opened, but mint condition as device has only been used in table while developing. And I still might be one more N950's without a box somewhere in my shelves.
What would be your price range? I think it would be nice to have one of these as a memoir if nothing else. Sure you want to sell em?

You did the Homescreen settings app, right? This means that there will never be updates for that? I always hoped there would be some update to it allowing wider support for background animations.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Or perhaps the cargo hold is not pressurized the same as the passenger cabin or more cold?
I managed to ship in the past via international mail and got away with it and suspect thousands of others have. I have also put cordless razor with lion battery in checked luggage a number of times and no battery explosions.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
Or perhaps the cargo hold is not pressurized the same as the passenger cabin or more cold?
Ah, no, we're not talking about actual batteries here, I think. Although yeah, they can leak and catch fire. I think the worry is about fake batteries whose internals have been replaced by an explosive; since batteries are generally enclosed in a metallic sheath, and can't really be opened without being destroyed, they seem like a perfect place to hide a bomb.

But yeah, I may be wrong, and the postal services just paranoid about real batteries...

EDIT: Yeah, I guess I should read up a bit more before spouting my opinions. I guess the issue at hand really is about the dangers of regular batteries; here's a US government advisory on the subject...

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-12-12 at 22:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam
I have couple N950's that I could sell. But currently only in Finland, as Finnish post office currently doesnt allow sending batteries in the phone...
You may open the unopened one, take off the battery and send it without battery to me. Sounds like christmas. If you can do that, pm me an offer, please.

The Following User Says Thank You to meemorph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Finland
I have couple N950's that I could sell. But currently only in Finland, as Finnish post office currently doesnt allow sending batteries in the phone.

One devkit in unopened mint condition, another devkit box opened, but mint condition as device has only been used in table while developing. And I still might be one more N950's without a box somewhere in my shelves.
Let me know if you decide to sell either, I am located in Finland and frankly I am a bit drooling

Last edited by paolo_3_1415926; 2015-12-13 at 21:39. Reason: it is Finland not finland :)

The Following User Says Thank You to paolo_3_1415926 For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n950, nonsense, selling n950