Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I SE Xperia Arc ....
I suggest you do the same
Why would any N900 owner do that? Surely that's a backward step like buying a N8, apart from it is runnig Gingerbread byt from past experience of SE it is unlikley to ever by updated, OK if you just want a smartphone to make phone calls but not a progressive step.

At present with the CSSU speeding up the phone I can't see any present phones are any better and nothing etc will let you tweak the OS like the openess of the N900?

Perhaps in 6 months the Galaxy S2 or Motorola Artrix might look a good replacement but I can't see anything can beat the N900 which is on the market, at present assuming you are not using a "tired" N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
I'm going for an HTC Pyramid.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
I'll wait for the MeeGo phone. in the mean time I use my N900.

Proud owner of a Jolla smart phone
Check this out !
http://www.jollatides.com/

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Why would any N900 owner do that? Surely that's a backward step like buying a N8, apart from it is runnig Gingerbread byt from past experience of SE it is unlikley to ever by updated, OK if you just want a smartphone to make phone calls but not a progressive step.

At present with the CSSU speeding up the phone I can't see any present phones are any better and nothing etc will let you tweak the OS like the openess of the N900?

Perhaps in 6 months the Galaxy S2 or Motorola Artrix might look a good replacement but I can't see anything can beat the N900 which is on the market, at present assuming you are not using a "tired" N900.
I will still use my n900.

I need a phone that handles webstreams(tv) well. n900 don't work in my country for any channels.Plus I got if for an exellent prize.

Don't looking for power at the moment. Atrix and G2 is not for me. Wont go for the first generation duel core.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Love my N900/Maemo/MeeGo, but I've gone to a HTC G2 for daily use...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...524#post955524
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
I'm surprised no one is thinking of getting the Pre 3. I love WebOS - it's relatively open, linux-like, and best of all it does multitasking better than the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmc8501 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by jmc8501 View Post
I'm surprised no one is thinking of getting the Pre 3. I love WebOS...
I can't help but like WebOS too. But there's no WebOS hardware available or planned I'm aware of that interests me. I gotta have a keyboard, but can't stand vertical sliders and itty-bitty keys. And I don't want to be locked-in to one company again for both the OS and hardware. That always bothered me about the N900/Maemo.

- it's relatively open,
It's open except for the parts that aren't, which is quite a bit.

...linux-like,
Yeah...in a Maemo/MeeGo kinda way.

...and best of all it does multitasking better than the N900.
Not that I've noticed.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
I'll probably still keep my n900, but I'm considering either one of the the playstation phones, the LG Optimus 3D or the Atrix. Of course if the n950 (if its released) has decent functionality, i might consider that, :P

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
[In reply to Crashdamage]

Although I agree that the hardware is less than desirable, the multitasking is so obviously superior that your opinion baffles me. With the N900 one must hit the x, which is difficult without the stylus, and somewhat unnatural and inconvenient. It's fine for a desktop and mouse environment, but not good with a touch interface.

Instead, WebOS provides a simple way to organize and close apps. The only thing I wish WebOS had are widgets.

I think I'll be going with the N9 (or N950... whatever it will be called) so long as it is as flexible as my N900. If I would have as much control with the new "Maemo" it will be the only real option. If MeeGo is overly graphical (I can read, Nokia!) or does not provide me with the incredible control the N900 does I could (not to say I would) go something Android. My N900 is under warranty until Nov 2011 so I haven't looked at much else (except the iPhone4.. You know, for a laugh).
Maemo devices tend to have extended community support unlike other devices so leaving the commmunity just doesn't make sense to me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeyman For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo rocks, meego rocks, meego?hell no!