Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
I don't think there can actually be any difference in 'quality' of formatting. Healthy and properly formatted filesystem should always be the same regardless of the tools/os used.

If you don't trust windows and don't have a non-windows system at hand, why don't you download, load on some USB stick and then boot Hiren's BootCD? The disto includes quite many different disk/formatting tools which support usb mass storage media.

If this doesn't help, the problem is somewhere in N9's firmware (maybe detecting incompatible formatting and then getting stubborn about it).

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
I don't think there can actually be any difference in 'quality' of formatting. Healthy and properly formatted filesystem should always be the same regardless of the tools/os used.

If you don't trust windows and don't have a non-windows system at hand, why don't you download, load on some USB stick and then boot Hiren's BootCD? The disto includes quite many different disk/formatting tools which support usb mass storage media.

If this doesn't help, the problem is somewhere in N9's firmware (maybe detecting incompatible formatting and then getting stubborn about it).
Trying to reformat using FAT32 on Linux....

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
So Arie, how have you resolved the problem?

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
So Arie, how have you resolved the problem?
Fat32 at 4kb, also did a reflash before. I don't suggest doing this unless you have just freshly flashed your N9.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Hi Arie, how did you resolve your problem with the N9 not finding the MyDocs partition? I tried formatting it to FAT32 4096 byte clusters too, and now i cant seem to get my N9 to mount MyDocs at all anymore :S
Thanks!

Edit: Fixed it by restoring the device trought the settings menu.
Not gonna try that again :S

Last edited by XiliX; 2012-09-22 at 14:19.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by XiliX View Post
Hi Arie, how did you resolve your problem with the N9 not finding the MyDocs partition? I tried formatting it to FAT32 4096 byte clusters too, and now i cant seem to get my N9 to mount MyDocs at all anymore :S
Thanks!

Edit: Fixed it by restoring the device trought the settings menu.
Not gonna try that again :S

Are you sure you formatted to fat32 not exFAT? The latter will give yout the error you had while the former wouldn't IIRC...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I can also confirm that formatting to 4kb clusters improved USB writing speed to about 18MB/s.

Not only that, it saved a lot of space for me.
Before formatting every file below 64kb still took 64kb of space.
And since there are thousands of such files (cache, config files and especially map files) they took a lot of space.
Now the minimum file size is 4kb instead of 64kb and the amount of wasted space is a lot less.

Before formatting I backed up the whole mydocs partition to my pc so I didn't lose anything.

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Before some of us start breaking, can someone please give us step by step instructions to get this correctly please

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
Before some of us start breaking, can someone please give us step by step instructions to get this correctly please
- Plug in your N9 to the PC using "Use as Mass Storage"

- Backup your device's data to your PC

- In Computer right-click your N9 and choose format

- Choose File system FAT32 and NOT exFAT

- Choose allocation block size to be 4096bytes (4kb)

- Click on Format

- Once done copy back your data to your phone

Voila Done

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-10-08 at 13:41. Reason: s/Sync&Connect/Use as Mass Storage

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
how can i do this from mandriva linux? I tried with vista, but that has only 2 formatting options: fat and ntsc, both " breaking" the memory....
Thanks!