Active Topics

>> Trolling example: "Just sell your N900 and get an iPhone 4!"

I find this definition of "trolling" hilarious, because Nokia's misrepresentation of the n900 in its advertising is the leading cause of disappointed ppl with differing expectations coming to this place and venting. If a user bought the n900 expecting lots of apps in the Ovi store, or expected the phone to "just work" or expected active Nokia support with frequent patches to correct bugs and they do NOT care about hacking/tinkering/modifying their phone or even know what open source is, then they will be disappointed with their purchase - no amount of community support can resolve these mismatched expectations because these issues are not something the community can resolve.

In these cases, the appropriate solution IS for such users to sell their n900 and buy another phone, as their expectations have to be matched by the correct product. In this case might as well do it sooner rather then later while the n900 can still be sold for a good price.

If this is defined as "trolling", well it seems denial of reality is the new official norm here then.

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
I think this thread should be read from A-Z again by every contributor and reader of "this" thread before... any new rules are implemented. Will the rules be implemented for "fan-boys" "longtime known friends/members" or only the ones "moderators" don't like?

SIO2 Interactive spamming votes to get his/her applications to Extras.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...highlight=Sio2

Just trying to help, steer away from deeper problems.

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Once a community grows large enough that the administrators run out of close buddies to assign as moderators, the zealots will automatically come.
On the flipside, with this policy in place, the obvious trolls can be weeded out so they've no reason to stay for long.

But once again, I don't see how some of those rules are protecting "us" in any way. Have you really ever come across a signature that you felt the need of being protected from?
I think the anti-spam is pretty obvious and no one will seriously mind cutting down their 5> lines sig anyway. You want to read more content than sig on a thread.

What I meant that we could use some assistance (in the form of policy or moderation) were against obvious trolls, flamers or those who debate aggressively and forget about common courtesy.

Imagine you're getting punished for publishing 6 lines of HELPFUL links in your signature, something that was considered okay for 5 years. Would you feel hurt? Would you consider not only deleting those links form your signature, but also turning your back on a community that, instead of getting rid of real offenders, is now targeting at you for being HELPFUL?

Maybe they can be summarized into a sticky thread, with a sig that points to that thread instead?
Again, imagine chatting with someone on a thread with long sig and short replies.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
@ysss: I don't think you're getting what I'm trying to say. I'm not against the new policy at all, I just think that it should be reduced to those rules that actually help getting rid of trolls.

Instead there's a whole lot of rules that don't make sense and will most probably lead to problems later on, because it's not trolls that will be breaking those rules but most probably rather viable members.

And once again: I've never run into a signature that was longer than the post it accompanied, simply because most people who have long signatures won't post 1-sentence-turbo-replies. I haven't seen a single harmful signature so far, but I HAVE seen long signatures that had a lot of value in them.

But, whatever, just stating my concerns. I myself couldn't care less - if I get banned in a couple of months because an overzealous moderator thinks I'm Satan himself for bringing back a thread from the void of the second page, may it be. There's other communities that I can develop for and other people that may answer questions once I'm banned.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Nathraiben:
Ok, I can understand that concern.

Personally, I tend to trust the people behind the rules. They've done a great job so far and I've seen instances where negative exchange go longer than necessary due to (non existent\unclear?) policy regarding 'soft' spamming/trolling; It seems that they just need a clear written policy as a base to act.

I really doubt they'll start to waste their time to conduct witch hunts for people with >5 lines sigs, for example. Just when it's spotted in a thread where overpopulated by sigs than content, then people can be reminded of the written rule...

They know that developers are the real actors in this show.. moderators are the security (and uhm, ushers ).

Let's just wait and see.. and wish them well
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-06-21 at 18:20.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 410 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Fife, Scotland.
I question the blanket 'no business advertising'.

While in some cases, this would be clearly inappropriate - for example -
'BUY MY AWESOME SCREEN PROTECTORS' - in others, it might be less so.

Stuff that you cannot easily find on ebay - for example - someone making replica 'flashing' fixtures - to access the debug pads of the phone, or a higher capacity battery for example.

Especially given there is a buy/sell forum, I fail to see why this should be forbidden.

Responding to users questions on a product you make is clearly a valid use of TMO, that should be encouraged.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SpeedEvil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
>> Trolling example: "Just sell your N900 and get an iPhone 4!"

I find this definition of "trolling" hilarious
If it's the topic of your thread, it's blatant trolling. If it's the end result of a long discussion, then it might not be. Context is EVERYTHING.

Of course if you absolutely hate the N900 and Nokia you might err on the side of raging against this forum and its users instead of, you know, thinking.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by SpeedEvil View Post
I question the blanket 'no business advertising'.

Responding to users questions on a product you make is clearly a valid use of TMO, that should be encouraged.
I'd like to join that choir, just look at Sygic and other companies engaging users on here, participating as parts of the community.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
just resized my sig.....hope this is okay

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
@ysss: I've been one of the "people behind the rules" quite a couple of times, and I know that those rules are meant to be helpful. Really, I'm not questioning the current admins and moderators, I'm just trying to save them some headache in the future, for I've also seen fellow moderators totally ruining a community with me being unable to do anything because they were just "reinforcing the rules".

Thus, one last time I just have to stress this point: Keep the rules tight, but to a necessary minimum. Be strict with the trolls, but let the rest of the bunch keep their current freedom - they'll most probably use it responsibly, anyway.

(Btw, sorry for the offtopic, but I just wanted to say that I really love reading your posts, ysss. We almost always disagree - completely - but you tend do so in a sensible way. Thanks for constantly reminding me of how even online people can disagree without fighting!)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:

Tags
commandments, community, infractions, rules, t.m.o. policy