Notices

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
hi
thanks for the app, it was the one I was really missing.

but I have a problem. the goal is to make N900 transfer GPS data to my other communicator, WM Toshiba G900 (which has no internal GPS).
I've downloaded the latest Columbus from extras-devel, launched and activated bluetooth in tools. waited for gps lock and launched gps-app on my Toshiba. but when I was trying to connect, either the colombus crashed (just closed by itself) or nothing happened at all. columbus saying "listening to channel 2" (channel mode auto) and toshiba just getting no connection.

what is bluetooth channel number? is it COM port number? at my toshiba gps settings I can adjust the COM port number from 0 to 19 (I guess, but there's a lot) or even enable all of them. but nothing changes. I've tried two different gps-apps on toshiba and both couldn't connect. at WM BT setting the new "COM port" option appeared for N900, as it should.

before I had the N95-1 to work with my toshiba and it was fine. there was JAVA-app called "ExtGPS" and it was working. on my toshiba I had to select COM port #0, 1 or 2 (can't recall exactly) and it connected at once.

what should I do to make Columbus work as a bluetooth GPS dongle?

thanks
Make sure the devices are paired aswell and the N900 has your other device set to a trusted device so it can automatically accept incoming connections from it, failing that.

I've only tried it with my laptop and N810, I would if Columbus is saying it's using channel 2, then I guess setting COM port to 2 should do the trick. Other than that, find out from the other software distributor what you should do to get it to connected to a Bluetooth serial port that is using channel 2 and streaming NMEA data.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Also, I'm attempting to enter the Qt Apps coding competition, so if you like this app then please vote for it here: http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php?content=137559

Edit: Also, if anyone feels compelled to donate some beer tokens to me, because they like the app and want to see it flourish into something truely great. Then please feel free to click the donate button shown near the bottom right of that page linked above.

Last edited by tswindell; 2011-01-18 at 14:16.

I'm glad you got it working, that means we have another device that we know is compatible.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
is there any application that can use the gps in windows? i mean, i installed columbus, started it and now its "Streaming to port /dev/ttyGS0". But how do i install that on my windows computer now.. Actually i dont know a lot about that topic, but for me, it would be useful to use it for my laptop.

regards

Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
is there any application that can use the gps in windows? i mean, i installed columbus, started it and now its "Streaming to port /dev/ttyGS0". But how do i install that on my windows computer now.. Actually i dont know a lot about that topic, but for me, it would be useful to use it for my laptop.

regards
When you connect the N900 to your computer, make sure it's in PC suite mode, once in PC suite mode, startup Columbus and get it to stream to /dev/ttyGS2 (none of the others currently work). Your PC should recognise a new COM port, this port is usually for accessing your N900s modem, but Columbus disables this and streams NMEA data through it. Once you close Columbus it'll re-enable pnatd so you can use your N900 for tethering again.

Oh and as far as Windows software, there are plenty of packages but I don't know them off hand. Google Earth I believe works with GPS data.

sadly, it doesnt work. i did as you said but still, nothing happens. The USB Modem still shows up in the device manager. Have it on ttyGS2.. also tried it in different order (first starting the program, then connecting to laptop) but also no effect

sadly, it doesnt work. i did as you said but still, nothing happens. The USB Modem still shows up in the device manager. Have it on ttyGS2.. also tried it in different order (first starting the program, then connecting to laptop) but also no effect
Erm, that doesn't mean it's not working. Use hyperterm to view the incoming data.

i never used hyperterminal, could you explain how to do that? (installed it anyway)

but shouldnt there be anything telling me that "installing new device" or something? there was no change, also nothing new in the device manager :S tried different gps software and none could recognize a gps stream

i never used hyperterminal, could you explain how to do that? (installed it anyway)

but shouldnt there be anything telling me that "installing new device" or something? there was no change, also nothing new in the device manager :S tried different gps software and none could recognize a gps stream
You have to tell it to use the COM port that shows up when you plug in the N900, I don't have windows handy at the moment, I'll look into it when I get the chance and post back here. Probably sometime Thursday.

suddenly it works, i reinstalled ovi suite including some new update.. dont know what was the problem. works now with google earth thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to tebsu For This Useful Post:

Tags
navigation, nokia n900