Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Well, this is somewhat good news. But I hope Jukka reads this:

1. I hope it is as fully useable as possible as an everyday device. At least Phone, 3G, WiFi, SMS, Web browser with flash and very importantly, Music and Video playback is a must. If it's for power users and if it's supposed to "keep" us to help Nokia, make us be able to use the N900 everyday and to promote to others. Less crippled = the better we'll respond. So please, surprise us by showing us what MeeGo is capable of on the N900.

2. I hope it's overclockable. N900 is a slow device for Meego. Many power users / hackers overclock to squeeze that extra performance out of our beloved device. It makes a huge difference so let us tap that potential at "our own risk".
1) We're taking approach of initially few but very well working + performing features (isn't this what the fruit company does?). When they do work, we look at more features. And we can work on them together.

From hardware adaptation point of view:
* Accelerated music/video is already possible - DSP codecs exist
* Phone exists and can make calls, even comes through earpiece now or headset.
* 3G support exists in system but not in UI yet

2) Overclocking depends on CPU frequency scaling which we are actively working on as this enables a proper day-to-day experience that lasts more than 3 hours and doesn't ruin your ability to get children (as a male). Overclocking is at your own risk and not recommended.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2011-03-03 at 20:30.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but once you get your "future disruption" running on top of MeeGo, how exactly are you going to transfer it to Nokia's WP7 platform since Qt doesn't run on it, only .Net? And the UI is not going to be altered from the default?

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but once you get your "future disruption" running on top of MeeGo, how exactly are you going to transfer it to Nokia's WP7 platform since Qt doesn't run on it, only .Net? And the UI is not going to be altered from the default?
The answer is obviously open standards - future disruptions aren't UI only. It'd be stupid to exclude devices. Even closed platforms. I don't know the exact answer. QML isn't the solution to everything, but I think it might be easier to write than HTML5.

http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2011/02/17/...norwegian-guy/ is a funny video in that regard..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2011-03-03 at 21:01.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
The answer is obviously open standards - future disruptions aren't UI only. I don't know the exact answer. QML isn't the solution to everything, but I think it might be easier to write than HTML5.

http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2011/02/17/...norwegian-guy/ is a funny video in that regard..
I am sorry, but I don't see fully how the transition from MeeGo to other platforms will work. It's not that my opinion carries much weight or anything, but I'm pretty sure (because I know them) that someone in upper management will ask the same question: "If our future is with WP7, why maintain MeeGo, when transitioning its innovations to WP7 is going to be hard?"

Will WP7 support fully HTML5? If so, why exactly you need MeeGo to run it, when you could do it with HTML 5 in another platform?

Once again, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I'm trying to understand clearly if this is not going to be a dead end...

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
2) Overclocking depends on CPU frequency scaling which we are actively working on as this enables a proper day-to-day experience that lasts more than 3 hours and doesn't ruin your ability to get children (as a male). Overclocking is at your own risk and not recommended.
Not recommended of course. Just want it to be "open" to possibility that's all. The fact that majority of N900 users who are willing to try out MeeGo DE on their phones will be dev/hacker/power users means we would like as many options as possible. So if it's not "locked", that's fine. I guess someone will find a way. =)

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
but I'm pretty sure (because I know them) that someone in upper management will ask the same question: "If our future is with WP7, why maintain MeeGo, when transitioning its innovations to WP7 is going to be hard?"
As I noted, I'm just speculating. But is the future 'smartphones' (where WP7 are used)? Personally I think we'll end up converging towards HTML5 for 'apps' - this is the common factor amongst mobile OS'es atm. But let's fork this discussion to another thread. You taking first post in a new thread?

Any chance we will get Flash 10.(?) on the N900 assuming that the Meego o/s will have flash support as standard and that Nokia is now supporting Meego on the N900?

What are the timescales for a useable Meego o/s i.e. you can make phone/send sms & browse the interent on the N900, is that still going to be April or now later?

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
As I noted, I'm just speculating. But is the future 'smartphones' (where WP7 are used)? Personally I think we'll end up converging towards HTML5 for 'apps' - this is the common factor amongst mobile OS'es atm. But let's fork this discussion to another thread. You taking first post in a new thread?
Sure thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I cannot believe someone reading this thread actually asked about Flash 10...
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
I cannot believe someone reading this thread actually asked about Flash 10...
They forgot to mention digital compass.

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:

Tags
best thread yet, meegohorny, nokia rox, stupid guys say, we want bada