Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I had an interesting discussion with an iPhone user about how long they intend to keep their device before upgrading they don't intend on keeping their device longer than 2 years! So, based on how long people intend on keeping their iPhones and how much they spent on them here is just a simple break down of how much they are spending.

$400 iphone, upgraded after 2 years = $880 or $36.66/month before taxes and fees.
$400 iphone, upgraded after 3 years = $1120 or $31.11/month before taxes and fees.

$500 iphone, upgraded after 3 years = $1220 or $33.80/month before taxes and fees.

So I can pay off my $350 n810 in 11.2 months by NOT getting an iPhone. The n800 at $230 can be paid off in 7.5 months. Hell after 3 years I can upgrade the nokia and STILL come out ahead.
I'll say it again. The n8x0 uses mobile data that you STILL pay for every month. Here in the US everything has contracts... if you want to fart in your own home, you already have a 2 year contract.

When you upgrade your iPhone, you also do NOT renew your contract. It specifically states, and was clearly explained by AT&T that no contract extension will take place if you replace your iPhone with a new model.

The WiMax tablet is also going to have a monthly fee and contracts.

Or you can buy an iPod Touch with no contract and enjoy the applications for $299/$249 + $20 for whatever 2.0 software comes.

------

and lol at this thread I was just excited to talk about the SDK and I got trolled by the open source freaks into arguing about Apple vs. Nokia again

I tried discussing the problems of the SDK on macrumors, but the RDF was far too strong there.

1) It's incompatible with the GPLv3 due to the fact that an end user can't load software on the device without paying Apple first. So developers will have to be very careful on what they port to the OSX touch platform.
I dunno. If GPL is not an issue to a Mac user then why would it be seen as a negative. It only matters if it matters to you. iPhoto not GPL? Could care less. iTunes not GPL? Could care less. GIMP GPL? I could care less (and don't use).

2) It's one more unnecessary lock-in. There is no reason Apple needs to prohibit tinkering and installation outside of the iTMS since most people will use iTMS anyways.
Of course when we bought our Macs we knew that. So again, if it's not a problem for us, then why would we see it as a negative. In any event Mac users can run any OS they choose on that Apple machine they bought. Choice is good right?

3) No persistence, no undocumented API's, no accessories... Apple still keeps all the goodies to themselves.
Agreed. Background apps not running in the background sucks. I think even the Newton did that. But I think this is short term and may change with the touch rather than the iPhone. But that's a guess

4) Apple as the gatekeeper... I don't think I need to say why this is a problem.
You're repeating yourself.

5) $100/year just to load custom code onto a tethered iPhone. $300/year for in house apps.
hmmm as opposed to that 70% of more money than any developer was going to make anyway? So if a dev. can make 10 bucks a month off there app they come out ahead $20 bucks a year. If that's too hard, perhaps the app, you know, sucks.

And of course, this is on top of the fact that you are paying through the nose for the Apple way of life. You pay hundreds of dollars for the device and then you get the honor of paying every month for a locked in cell provider or pay for basic updates. Now you get to pay for every application that you install as well.
Well sometimes we pay for what we get, no? I can buy some cheap socks. How long till there are holes in 'em. I can buy cheap shoes, how long till they kill my feet or fall apart? I can buy an N800 and wait and see how long it takes for the mail client to work right, or the RTCOMM software to make a call right or......

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Oh apparently background apps are possible. Its just a guideline that Apple has implemented, and that you are able to get exceptions. (Like AOL's AIM app will likely function in the background).

The Following User Says Thank You to sherifnix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
wait till the n900 with wimax come. It will the iphone/touch away.!!!
The point im trying to make is that anything can happen tomorrow. Apple just has this habit of annoouncing things with much show off but nokia just delvers. lets talk now. There are not that many apps for apple but there are many for it's. Ofcourse it may change in the future..... if apple a newcomer can do so much in mobile space just imagine what nokia can do.

nokia is the king have no doubts

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
and lol at this thread I was just excited to talk about the SDK and I got trolled by the open source freaks into arguing about Apple vs. Nokia again
this is the itt forum, what did you expect?

im sure if you fired up a similar thread on a iphone focused forum one would get a mirror image of this thread...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
You think the average iPhone forum reader is even *aware* of the Nokia Internet Tablet line?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
You think the average iPhone forum reader is even *aware* of the Nokia Internet Tablet line?
Nope. As of now, very different target audience.

But tso's response to sherifnix is on the spot. This is a catch-all section for competitors, but don't expect it to be an insulated bubble. That would be silly.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-03-09 at 17:35.

It's interesting to see everyone's insecurities pop up in this thread. I have both an Iphone and an N800. The Iphone's interface is a wonder, to be sure. It should be the model for every touch screen device to come. It's affirmed a belief that was started for me with the N800 and OS2007: The stylus is a crutch, and should be eliminated as much as possible in touchscreen devices. This means re-engineering the interface from the ground up, not just making scrolll bars and icons larger.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timepilot84 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
yep, the stylus is a crutch, but its also the only way to click some of those links without blowing the page up 200%+...

as for insecurities, i would not be surprised.

electronics are no longer just a tool. and for that i think we can thank marketing, spinning of anything from the brand of flavored water one drink, to what one wear and drive as a mark of what kind of person you are.

and apple, for one, have made that a art form with their pc/mac ads among other things. but its funny to note that people like the pc character more then the mac character...

that said, me and others here is probably reacting more to the "iphone is the second coming of christ" mentality then the device itself. problem is that as geeks we try to argue on features and capabilites, while others argue experience of use and style.

in the end its the age old "nerds" vs "jocks" kind of thing...

the trick i guess is to find a way to coexist.

Last edited by tso; 2008-03-09 at 19:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
do you even think that there is an iphone forum????????