Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Today just for grins I tried talking to a friend on Gizmo (he was on a Mac laptop) while I was listening to a jazz channel on Rhapsody and it worked! I Had to turn the vol down on Rhapsody to hear my friend, more like background jazz (he can't hear it). To damn cool.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I'm surprised it worked, because when you have Rhapsody open but *not* playing a stream it's impossible to play a video with Media Player - the Media Player app will load, but displays an error ("Unable to perform operation") when attempting to play a video or audio track. Shut down Rhapsody (does it really need the "Close the application?" prompt?!) and the video/audio will play. Suspect Rhapsody is doing something with the sound system it shouldn't, like grabbing exclusive access. Or something.

Mplayer works without a problem, even playing video while Rhapsody simultaneously streams audio.

I suppose it could be Media Player that has the problem and not Rhapsody... but they certainly don't play nice together.

Anyone know how or where bug/enhacement requests against Rhapsody should be reported - Maemo Bugzilla?

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-03-29 at 00:54.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Suspect Rhapsody is doing something with the sound system it shouldn't, like grabbing exclusive access.
If that would stop me from hearing sounds coming from the browser or other apps while I'm trying to listen to music, I'd say it was definitely something it should do.

If it happened only when Rhapsody is playing music, it wouldn't be such an issue. But as the problem happens whenever Rhapsody is open (playing music or not) it means you have to close down rather than minimise Rhapsody before you can watch a video or listen to audio in Media Player, and that can't be right.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
If you have the home stream applet enable and you use ether listen rhapsody or the upnp player wich is very similar to rhapsody and minimise it you will notice that the home applet player is actuallt playing and if you hit stop it will stop the ether player so that only means that both players are just a skin to the built in media player and it looks like maemo can not share those resources....

Good point - bad design decision though, as it now means you can't have both players loaded together. Several times I've been listening to a Rhapsody tune then stopped it (minimizing Rhapsody as I'm done with it for now) and later on I've gone to load a video or audio file in Media Player and gotten an error because Rhapsody is still loaded. Bah.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
I Agree... Very bad desing there...

This seems to be related to the fact that both applications are using the DSP to decode video/audio. Since there is only one DSP - only one application can run at a time.

That would explain why mplayer works as it doesn't use the DSP.

Indeed, the point is that Rhapsody shouldn't hog the DSP unless it's actually using the DSP - apparently Rhapsody hogs systems resources even when they are not being used, and that's just CR@P!