Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I, too, have a lot of -dev packages installed for an on-device development. Amongst them, libc6-dev 2.5.1-1eglibc27+0m5+cssu2.1. IIRC, there were some challenges getting the right -dev packages. Build-essential is hopelessly outdated but, through some dependency mess, some -dev packages depend on it which means I ended up with some packages installed twice (for example, bimutils and binutils2.22).

It all happened months to years ago and I am afraid to touch this fragile castle of cards lest I break it as I do not quite remember how I achieved the current state. So I make a big backup before any major update, in case the update breaks it.

The upshot is, it IS possible to have -dev packages and the newest CSSU coexit happily. Just leave HAM behind and use FAM or, better still, apt-get to run the upgrade since getting any useful output from HAM is next to impossible. Pali is right, if you use -dev packages, then you should have at least some idea of how to use the command line tools.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Hmmm... Is it just me but both my N900 camera can not save images after the CSSU update. Can someone else try camera and confirm if this is issue only on my N900's?

EDIT: Seems like my filesystem had become read-only explaining the above issue. Changelog says about checking boot sector dirty bit? Wondering if my filesystem had errors and this "dirty bit" triggered the read-only mode?

EDIT2: Tried filesystem scan from WIndows computer as removable drive did not find any errors. Also noticed that the Photos application shows all my taken pictures twice, with same file name. The same issue is on both of my N900's. Anyone any ideas what might have caused this?
I'm still having the issue of everything located on mmcblk0p1 (MyDocs) being read only. I did run fsck couple times and it can not find any errors on the mmcblk0p1. I'm about to start manually editing the file attributes (adding write access) next to see if that can resolve the issue. Or does someone have better ideas?

EDIT: I noticed that MyDocs and anything under it is shown as drwxr-xr-x file permissions. MyDocs and all files are owned by root and by group root. Is that what it supposed to be? (I never paid attention to these details before when it was still working...) I was able to change the MyDocs directory owner and group to user users but it automagically changed back to root root after little while.

This is really puzzling me. Both my N900's have the exact same issue and it started after I installed the recent CSSU update.

I'd really appreciate if someone can borrow a helping hand...

Last edited by Mara; 2014-12-27 at 02:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
While having Qt 4.7.4, do we still need libqt4-bearer-hotfix? Latest mad-developer depends on it due to mcsp. If we don't, maybe it'd be worth making a dummy CSSU package, just as qtquickcompat?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It all happened months to years ago and I am afraid to touch this fragile castle of cards lest I break it as I do not quite remember how I achieved the current state. So I make a big backup before any major update, in case the update breaks it.
Precisely, same thing here. I've never needed to reflash the device and have since I got it in mid 2010 made so many changes, e.g. installed a plethora of packages (in some cases, as for gcc & co. , in a certain order), modified config files and set up (semi-)essential symlinks. If I'd ever decide to reflash (probably into Thumb) it would probably require at least a couple of days to get everything back, IF I can figure out all modifications somehow.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Pali is right, if you use -dev packages, then you should have at least some idea of how to use the command line tools.
I think Pali and you got the wrong impression, I have no problem using command line, and the terminal is one of my primary environments when using the N900 (or any *nix for that matter). I am however very careful not to mess things up irreparably, due to reasons listed above, and was perhaps not 100 % comfortable with doing a whole system update with apt-get as I've only installed single packages using that method before.

Anyhow; I got the CSSU update installed by running apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade. (Before that, I disabled all but the CSSU repo because I would get "key expired" warnings running apt-get update and some gstreamer packages "could not be authenticated" -- due to invalid gpg keys I assume -- when running apt-get dist-upgrade) It went right through without any errors but for some reason the terminal froze at a prompt for mount-ops, right after set-up of system-services. Luckily I piped the output via tee and reviewing the log I double-checked that it had set up every package, which it had. I hope this helps anyone else having the same issue (with libc6-dev) as I did.

Weirdly enough apt did not complain whatsoever about libc6-dev -- or any package for that matter -- as HAM did. Does HAM not use apt/apt-get to perform updates? If it does, any idea why it would complain when running apt-get manually didn't? Is it so broken?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sowwhatyoureap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
EDIT: I noticed that MyDocs and anything under it is shown as drwxr-xr-x file permissions. MyDocs and all files are owned by root and by group root. Is that what it supposed to be? (I never paid attention to these details before when it was still working...) I was able to change the MyDocs directory owner and group to user users but it automagically changed back to root root after little while.
After getting the update installed, I can't confirm the behaviour you're getting, everything seems to work as normal. Most likely it's due to incorrect file attributes/ownership set for the MyDocs folder (and subfiles) as having owner/group set to root/root would prohibit non-elevated applications (camera for instance) to store data there. In my case the owner/group of MyDocs and subfiles/-folders is set to user/root, and I'm fairly sure that's how it's suppose to be. Seeing as it reverts the ownership when you try to change it, maybe it's caused by some monitoring process and/or improper settings for mounting it. For me, mount | grep MyDocs gives
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /home/user/MyDocs type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noauto,nodev,exec,nosuid,utf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fmask=0000,rodir)
and ls -lAd /home/user/MyDocs
Code:
drwxrwxrwx   30 user    root      65536 Dec 27 08:49 /home/user/MyDocs
Maybe you run those and compare.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sowwhatyoureap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Read-only partitions, MyDocs or otherwise, are generally a sign of a file system corruption. The built-in fsck may not always work. I have seen recommendations on this forum to run fsck -a on the affected partition twice in a row. If that does not help and the partituon is easily exportable by USB, such as MyDocs, run the check-and-fix on the PC.

HAM is known to be fussy. It has some extra built-in checks on top of what apt-get would do, presumably to cater for the messed-up situation with Maemo dependencies. FAM, on the other hand, is just a GUI wrapper for apt-get. Some say it's its undoing, I call it an advantage. Anyway, if your instalation is now sorted and neither apt-get -f nor HAM complain, then you can shake your own hand, pour yourself a nice drink, get your feet up and enjoy the peace.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by sowwhatyoureap View Post
Anyhow; I got the CSSU update installed by running apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade. ...
From what i remember dist-upgrade was "forbidden" or strongly advised against been used. Did something change in the meantime?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
From what i remember dist-upgrade was "forbidden" or strongly advised against been used. Did something change in the meantime?
Pali still maintains that position. Indeed, it prolly is good advice for most unless one cares to know wots wot.

Will a thumb version follow?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
No nothing was changed and it will never be changed.

dist-upgrade needs gnu coreutils (and other gnu packages) which are in conflict with busybox. And busybox is required for Maemo core system.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Pali still maintains that position. Indeed, it prolly is good advice for most unless one cares to know wots wot.

Will a thumb version follow?
Sure, as always

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu testing