As an alternative, you could try the n95 speakers? They were pretty beefy to. Would be interesting to see how they actually differ.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Just to way in here, i really don't think you can do much more, you can maybe make it louder, but i have to admit that the "onboard" sound in the N900 IS the best i have heard of all phones/handhelds.

If you wanna do something else then look into modding it and putting the 2x3W AMP between speakers and JACK out, powered from the battery and someway off turning it all on when needed.

You can use other amps then the VMA2012 i showcase in my DIY audio thread (in signature), there are loads of them, and some are much smaller (E.G. more flat)

From what i remember from last i had my N900 taken apart & last i had one of the N95 taken apart is that the speakers are very similar, but the N900's are better and the cabinets in the N900 are better tuned, if you take a N95 and compare with a N900 the N900 wins in quality, the N95 may be a bit louder but i can't see the point when it begins to sound like sh*t.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sifo View Post
im not sure but i think they are the sameone correct me if im wrong
There are two types of 5800 (XpressMusic & Nav edition). But exactly the same design, size, and hardware.

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Just to way in here, i really don't think you can do much more, you can maybe make it louder, but i have to admit that the "onboard" sound in the N900 IS the best i have heard of all phones/handhelds.
Personally, I'm ok with the quality of the N900 internal speakers. It's just the volume that I have a problem with. Now that I'm using the 5800 speaker, it's a bit louder but the quality is horrible. I guess I'll have to take it out soon.

This is one of the prettiest parts of this community for me, if it can be done, it will be done. With few more soldering tutorials who is still sure we will ever abandon N900??? For your next trick pls connect quadcore (might be too energy hungry, dual will be enough) processor. Great stuff!

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
As an alternative, you could try the n95 speakers? They were pretty beefy to. Would be interesting to see how they actually differ.
yes n95 basic and 8gb sound really good.
5800 is loud bassy but lacks definition. Any chance OP trying it out ?

Heh heh, cool.

OP, try using mplayer and specify using alsa sound output. This will bypass pulseaudio and all nokia's haxxary WRT to equalisation.

Does it still sound tinny?

Also there was a kernel patch that lets you apply an FIR filter in hardware on the sound chip itself without any penalty in cpu/power usage.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
For people preferring GUI solution, smplayer implements all mplayer functions, so alsa outpuit can be specified easily (using GUI).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Tags
just shoot me