Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
So this will exclude external repositories from download right ?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Hmmmm.Brainstorm....I think that maemo.org download area doesnt need so called completely NEW features. We should collect/look different webpages that already exists and provide downloadable stuff in different categories and just borrow the best features and implement them. After download section is even close to these ( e.g. softpedia.com ) then lets start brainstorming.

So first and the most important thing what download section needs is different sorting methods like epage suggested. Feels bit weird to even suggest these kinds of things to professionals. Shouldnt these be bare minimum what to do?

It's lovely that we have these conversations but i just hope that something really also happens.
Keep up the good work!

btw where i can see what things have been done here maemo.org in last 5 months? I do not mean writing wiki or conversations here in talk or brainstorming just changes/features/fixes to maemo webpage/repositories?

.edit
Okey. This is good start
fixed bugs in maemo.org since 2010-01-01. What else?

Last edited by slender; 2010-05-20 at 09:37.

I would like a wish list or a maybe later list.

Not sure if this is possible but one thing I didn't like with my Android phone when browsing the market and now with my shiny N900 is that sometimes when searching for a specific program you see something you'd like to try - but later. (Because of large file size, usually, or dependency issues or because you want to read ratings before spending $$.) And half the time you forget until the next time you stumble onto it again.

Terry (who actually uses her Amazon wish list)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terryowen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Getting an "install basket" on maemo.org Downloads could be done by building up a custom .install file for the user which, when they finally click Download sends them it containing multiple packages.

This would meet lcuk and terryowen's idea of picking your apps in a more friendly way. If your current basket was attached to your maemo.org account, you could pick on your PC before installing on your device.

Perhaps this'd give a more seamless experience without having to get users to use a different application manager.

Last edited by Jaffa; 2010-05-21 at 15:26. Reason: s/others/terryowen/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
As mikkov says, I want one of the high-level goals to be a donation framework similar to addons.mozilla.org has, and I outlined in the URL above.

This feature, if added to Downloads would also be something we could offer the MeeGo community to reuse. This'd be an example of investment in maemo.org which wouldn't be wasted if we can all decamp to meego.com and be happy MeeGo users in 12 months.
Which is why I'd really, really like to see your name on the MeeGo User Enagagment Framework project page.

Unless of course you would prefer that be a totally distinct effort, in which caser I would excise it from the project to avoid confusion (or maybe just add as a reference?).

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-05-21 at 16:24.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Which is why I'd really, really like to see your name on the MeeGo User Enagagment Framework project page.
I thought it already was!

Unless of course you would prefer that be a totally distinct effort, in which caser I would excise it from the project to avoid confusion (or maybe just add as a reference?).
Happy for it to be done under the overall banner. I think the UXF is so wide-ranging it should be tackled as a series of loosely coupled initiatives towards an overall goal; rather than trying to get complete agreement on every aspect and then doing it as one mega-project.

EDIT: ack, you changed your post. Should I delete the quote?
I did? Bit you're quoting from me seems fine.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-05-21 at 16:30. Reason: sorry, edited instead of replied

I thought it already was!

Happy for it to be done under the overall banner. I think the UXF is so wide-ranging it should be tackled as a series of loosely coupled initiatives towards an overall goal; rather than trying to get complete agreement on every aspect and then doing it as one mega-project.

I did? Bit you're quoting from me seems fine.

I meant your name on the project page, as a contributor/partner/etc: http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_User_Engagement_Framework_Project#Contributo rs

And you raise a good point: this shouldn't be a mega-project as much as it should be a META-project. However, none of the subinitiatives are currently posed as MeeGo community-driven projects (MUEF is the only one for now). But as more initiatives are formalized I would be more than happy to refactor the presentation of MUEF. In fact you have inspired me to perform another wiki edit to declare that...

And forget the last comment-- I typed before coffee kicked in. As evidenced by my mistake in editing instead of quoting the previous post.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
This would meet lcuk and terryowen's idea of picking your apps in a more friendly way. If your current basket was attached to your maemo.org account, you could pick on your PC before installing on your device.
I like the idea. Taken a bit further, you could maybe also share or publish your application lists, enabling people to compile their own sets of recommended apps, or apps related to a specific theme.

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
I like the idea. Taken a bit further, you could maybe also share or publish your application lists, enabling people to compile their own sets of recommended apps, or apps related to a specific theme.
Thanks for reminding me bergie-- the feedback ecosystem I envision certainly needs to support what you're saying there. In fact I think we could borrow from Amazon's example for reviews, recommendations (maybe even wishlists)-- what they've done works, and works very well. Decentralized though.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I'd love to see a more AJAX-ey experience in Downloads. Users should be able to rate wherever a rating is shown. Whether that's on the package's page, on the homepage or in a list. Users also need to be able to easily change their previously given ratings. Netflix gets this perfect here.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainstorm, community, donations, download, downloads, maemo, maemo.org, meego, rating, recommendation