Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Ach
It's all good bill
I do believe the ugly repartee in said locales
has a few on edge here..
I admit I am...
and wish to see no bleed-off into the rest of the forum consequently.
I also admit I have (at moments quite gleefully) watched "the burn" put on a few in said sub fourms ...
nor do I have a desire to play policeman (not that it is my job either...)
I just don't wish the pollutant toxic spillover into the rest of the forum..
and will speak up in defense of our luverly little home here ..
try to hold fellow members to at least a base standard of decorum, respect and behaviour to other fellow members here...
especially and specifically if they wish to spread an unwholesome virus of mean and low behaviour elsewhere here... than in the subforums where they seem to get away (to some extent) with their behaviour...
that being essentially what I believe everyone's job to be here anyway.

And ..
no worries bill ...
In no way was there an inference on my part towards you of ill mannered behaviour.
Durn near a paragon of virtue you are
cheers

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
we need to [...] focus on the good stuff that has a future.
Any idea what that might be?

Unlike endsormeans, I do not have much faith in projects people do in their bedrooms in heir spare time. Just look at the pity state of projects like HURD, Neo900, Met or even CSSU. The only way to make some headway is to focus on things full time. In other words, a commercial enterprise. Jolla, despite all its shortcomings, has done a real progress. Unlike all those bedroom projects, they put two finished products on the market. As has Samsung and Canonical. I am sorry but a company standing behind any of those hopes is a necessity.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I am sorry but a company standing behind any of those hopes is a necessity.
Sure, that would be part of the hopes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Unlike endsormeans, I do not have much faith in projects people do in their bedrooms in heir spare time. Just look at the pity state of projects like HURD, Neo900, Met or even CSSU. The only way to make some headway is to focus on things full time. In other words, a commercial enterprise. Jolla, despite all its shortcomings, has done a real progress. Unlike all those bedroom projects, they put two finished products on the market. As has Samsung and Canonical. I am sorry but a company standing behind any of those hopes is a necessity.
But you know what? Despite these bedroom projects perhaps slowly getting somewhere, the fact that they exist is a darn good thing in my book.

We've quickly shifted from Nokia mostly age to now iOS/Android duopoly and yet folks are still out there tinkering and daring to be adventurous and in some cases, those things have led to Mer, Jolla, et al. Sad state of being in some cases, exciting state of existence to others.

I know I am unhappy with the current state of things but all it takes is that one person to deliver something that catches on. I mean, we all are tinkerers in one way or another. I'm personally glad it's going on still despite the duopoly tamping down everything else for the most part (ex. FirefoxOS, Sailfish OS, MeeGo, Maemo, BB10 all dying, dead or declining).

A company and continued support and delivering on those items is sorely needed. But I'm glad tinkering seems to be making a comeback.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But you know what? Despite these bedroom projects perhaps slowly getting somewhere, the fact that they exist is a darn good thing in my book.

We've quickly shifted from Nokia mostly age to now iOS/Android duopoly and yet folks are still out there tinkering and daring to be adventurous and in some cases, those things have led to Mer, Jolla, et al. Sad state of being in some cases, exciting state of existence to others.

I know I am unhappy with the current state of things but all it takes is that one person to deliver something that catches on. I mean, we all are tinkerers in one way or another. I'm personally glad it's going on still despite the duopoly tamping down everything else for the most part (ex. FirefoxOS, Sailfish OS, MeeGo, Maemo, BB10 all dying, dead or declining).

A company and continued support and delivering on those items is sorely needed. But I'm glad tinkering seems to be making a comeback.
Completely right gerbick. Just look at AsteroidOS for smartwatches as an example of what one 19 year old french student can do in his spare time with the tools provided by projects such as Qt, Open Embedded, Mer, and Nemo.

Yeah ok it doesn't really do that much (yet) but that's not the point. The point is that a lot of the building blocks have been created in a modular and open way so that its never been easier for the lone tinkerer to create their own mobile system.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jarvis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It just hit me... Sailfish OS satisfies a need that this group needs. BB10 satisfies another group of needs.

In the end, they just do not intersect in large ways. I find BB10 easily meets the requirements of users that need to communicate, get things done, have some convenience and for people that have bought into the "app" mentality.

Sailfish is for the Linux loving crowd that loves terminal (sorry, but fingerterm on Jolla ****ing sucks) and want a very granular control and access and aren't too worried about getting things done but want the option to do things to the core OS and functionality.

I'm quite sure I've basically listed out terrible stereotypes but Sailfish on a BB device while novel wouldn't be any better for that kind of stereotypical user of BB10 devices. And of course, vice versa.

As a director of my division, I need to do **** and communicate it. I rarely have time to tinker or play with the minutia of an OS like I used to with my N810 or so. I need to do my job and unfortunately my job isn't OS related.

A lot of you guys are OS/kernel devs or the like. But that's my take - you guys are a different group with different needs.
This is deep

Tags
sailfish os