Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._mobile_phones.
Terribly ironic, but except for the two first OM devices, NONE of the devices on that list actually run "100% free software on their main CPUs". They all have closed bootloaders, closed graphic drivers or closed telephony stack.

And it's missing others like that rare Qtopia device, which I think was 100%.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Terribly ironic, but except for the two first OM devices, NONE of the devices on that list actually run "100% free software on their main CPUs". They all have closed bootloaders, closed graphic drivers or closed telephony stack.

BINGO....right on the nail head. (To be truthful tho I wouldn't know concerning the 1973 or freerunner as I never had the opportunity to get one in my hands and play with it to see how open or closed they were... ) THAT is how bleak I think the situation is unless as consumers and community members...multiple community members in fact....(I don't know how well a kickstarter would work out or other fundraising methods as has been suggested and that isn't my point..)...but if dual/multi boot and chroot as well as has been stated by dos1 full os's can be run...then the device potential details and what is being proposed as the neo900 device should be sent to ALL those communities (if it hasn't already) so they are not only completely aware of devel and the potential to purchase for themselves and their communities and not left in the dark or out of the loop sotospeak....they should be included...their votes count too...the invaluable aid in simply not just adding more numbers to the order and dropping the costs....but the inclusion of their brain-matter and their expertise in their own os on the new device...would add to the collective....every one wins.
We all either agree ...collectively.... that this project needs to happen

Because the alternative is grim.... Not only expensive in the long run for each of us buying into a corporate dream that bails every few years on us...not to mention we are all hardly going to get a fraction of what we wish for ....if at all ...from the corps.

As well it is harrowingly chilling in how long the rest of us may be using and hanging onto our old devices waiting truly god-knows-how-long before any open source prospect .....let alone one that (hopefully will) so seamlessly works so well for us (such as this) comes around again if ever....the likelihood is thin to none.

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-09-01 at 15:53. Reason: omission

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland

Most popular GTA04 distros (QtMoko and SHR) does not use closed graphic drivers and still work great (muuuuch faster than Neo Freerunner :P), so I'd still count it as 100% free.

GTA01 did not have any dedicated GPU at all. GTA02 had Glamo (with NDA docs, but free drivers developed by Om), which turned out to be big mistake. GTA04 has GPU just because it was hard to get modern SoC without GPU on it (and no one will produce it for request with such small volume), but you don't have to use GPU acceleration at all, so it can still run 100% free code on CPU.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
I voted 450 as that is what I'll get for my next iphone upgrade in March.

The Following User Says Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Admittedly, I haven't read ALL of the posts here. PLEASE can we retain the
changeable battery and expansion (micro SD) slot?
Under those circumstances, I would definately be very interested...

The Following User Says Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by macey View Post
Admittedly, I haven't read ALL of the posts here. PLEASE can we retain the
changeable battery and expansion (micro SD) slot?
Under those circumstances, I would definately be very interested...
It'd quite hard to use N900 case and not retain changeable battery.

Anyway, the plan is to keep all features of N900 intact, upgrade some components a bit and maybe add some minor features too.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010

Until very recently this list included only the Aava and the two three OM... I was surprised to see your comment and more surprised to see the list to have grown so much.

EDIT: Mandatory link: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=566745533
and the Tizen device

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-09-01 at 15:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
...............keep all features of N900 intact, upgrade some components a bit and maybe add some minor features too.
Ok, thanks for that...
Just been on to the Golden Delicious website..
Perhaps another stupid question(s) from me but the 'featue' page says
micro SD 'up to 32GB. I have tow n900's running with 64GB micro sd's.
I would not consider buying Neo900 without that.
Also, probably in the specs somewhere but is this board 4G cellular?

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by macey View Post
Ok, thanks for that...
Just been on to the Golden Delicious website..
Perhaps another stupid question(s) from me but the 'featue' page says
micro SD 'up to 32GB. I have tow n900's running with 64GB micro sd's.
I would not consider buying Neo900 without that.
Also, probably in the specs somewhere but is this board 4G cellular?
Officially N900 supports up to 32GB uSD too .

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Officially N900 supports up to 32GB uSD too .
I know.

Tags
neo900, thank you!